Portland Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigscience

Reaction score
I'm going to Portland next week for a night (Jimmy Buffett concert) and was thinking I'd have time to hit one brewery. I was wondering what the thoughts on the best one were. I've done Deschutes and Rouge before and would like to try something new. Thoughts?

Jimmy Buffett is playing at the Rose Garden, which means you will be about a mile away from Widmer. If you're not in the mood for that, my two favorites are BridgePort and Laurelwood.

The Green Dragon is a nanobrewery and pub with 50 taps that have brews made on premises, brews from TONS of nanobreweries from Portland and the PNW and beers from around the world. They also have a sweet shuffleboard table and a bean-bag toss outside.

This is their taplist as of 10/10/10:

FRONT 20

1. Two Rivers Huckleberry Cider $5
2. Walkabout White
3. Paulaner Salvator $5
4. Upright Redwood Lager
5. Buckman Village John’s IPA
6. Lucky Lab The Mutt (fresh hop)
7. Beer Valley Rosebud IPA
8. Mendicino White Hawk IPA
9. Buckman Chamomellow
10. <span>Buckman Village IPA (Swapping out)</span>
11. Buckman Ginger
12. Klokke Roeland $6 (10 oz)
13. Moinette Blonde $6 (10 oz)
14. Hales Harvest Ale
15. Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere (fresh hop)
16. St. Louise Framboise $6 (10 oz.)
17. Rogue Mocha Porter
18. Hales Cream Stout (Nitro)
19. Mystery tap
20. Fish IPA (Cask)

BACK 30

1. Tracktown Root Beer $2.5
2. Coalition The Wu Cream Ale
3. Coalition Two Dogs IPA
4. Coalition Hanso Stout
5. Eugene City (fresh hop)
6. Lagunitas Little Sumpin’ Wild
7. Green Dragon 5.2 Imperial Cascadian Dark (10oz.)
8. Oakshire Smoking Helles Bock
9. Silver Moon Hoppopotums (fresh hop)
10. Mac and Jacks African Amber
11. Salmon Creek Scottish
12. Cascade Porter (Wet Hop)
13. Boulder Flashback India Brown
14. Fearless Scottish
15. Hale’s Belgian Tripel (10 oz)
16. 3 Creeks Bitter
17. Bridgeport Stumptown Tart
18. Alameda Horseshoe Heffe
19. Green Flash 30th Street Pale
20. Full Sail Sanctuary Belgian double
21. Green Flash Double Stout
22. Green Flash Imperial IPA (10oz.)
23. Green Flash Palate Wrecker (10oz.)
24. Green Flash Le Freak (10oz.)
25. Green Flash Barleywine (10oz.)
26. Bison Chocolate Stout
27. 7 Brides RIP Imperial Pilsner
28. Lagunitas Fusion III Imp. Stout (10 oz)
29. Bridgeport Hop Harvest(fresh hop)
30. North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout (10 oz)

Good call on the Green Dragon. I really liked that place. Unfortunatly we couldn't stay very long because our ******* hotel sold all their parking spaces for the concert so we had to find off site parking.

I was able to have a few nice beers and one bad one. The staff was cool and replaced it and offered samples liberally. The food was great as well.

Thanks for the great recomend HBTers!

Hopworks is a good brewery.

Bridgeport is also fun to go to.

It isn't a brewery, but a trip to the Horse Brass (a pub) is always worthwhile.

The Fifth Quadrant is also a nice brewery (Lompoc).

I went to the Bridgeport and Laurelhurst last time I was there, and loved them both (Bridgeport had great burgers to go along with their great beer) If you don't live near a mcmenimens (sp?) they're worth checking out too.

I was living in Portland a few years ago, and had a laurelhurst organic IPA, called green elephant (i think) that had over 100 ibu's, and made my taste buds sing.

+1 for Hopworks Urban Brewery off of Powell Blvd. Great beer and fun atmosphere!
Alameda Brewery is in NE Portland too, not far from the Rose Garden.

I would recommend the Horse Brass Pub http://www.horsebrass.com/. It is not a brewery but they have something like 50 taps. They have Younger's Special Bitter on tap. Don Younger owns the joint and commissioned Rogue to make this very special beer. Awesome food too. Another bonus is that Belmont Station is right up the street, it is the best beer store I have ever been to.

Tugboat is probably one of the funkiest little breweries in PDX. Walked in, stumbled out. House Russian Imperial Stout called "Chernobyl". Not the best I've ever had, but certainly not the worst. Did the trick.

Back