cooler conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trubador

Reaction score
I am having trouble figuring out how to remove the valve/spigot on my new Coleman Exreme 36 quart cooler.

I am turning it, but the whole thing just turns in circles.

Any advice on the best way to remove? I want to install one of those bulk-head fittings on it instead of the existing valve/spigot.

Thanks.

trubador said:
I am having trouble figuring out how to remove the valve/spigot on my new Coleman Exreme 36 quart cooler.

I am turning it, but the whole thing just turns in circles.

Any advice on the best way to remove? I want to install one of those bulk-head fittings on it instead of the existing valve/spigot.

Thanks.
Hold the outside of the spigot while you unthread from the inside. I just made a 3 gallon mini mash tun and every cooler I looked at the spigot just unthreaded.

HTH

I am interested in making a 3 gallon mini-mash tun, as well. But I am having problems finding 3 gallon coolers. What did you use? Thanks.

It just unscrews, but I can't visualize exactly, I thought I just held onto the outside bit while unscrewing the inside. No need to drill or anything.

FlyGuy said:
I am interested in making a 3 gallon mini-mash tun, as well. But I am having problems finding 3 gallon coolers. What did you use? Thanks.

Why 3, if you don't mind me asking?

You can get a round 5-gallon Rubbermaid cooler at Target or Wal-Mart for $19 or so. As long as you preheat it (add some boiling water for five or ten minutes before doing your mash), it'll hold temps great even if you are using a modest amount of grain. It's big enough to start doing some bigger partial mashes, and even to ultimately do some small- to medium-sized AG batches. Much more flexible that using a small cooler, and likely will cost you pretty much the same.

FlyGuy said:
Rubbermaid Victory 3 gal cooler. Bought it at my local Sportsmans Warehouse.

the_bird said:
It just unscrews, but I can't visualize exactly, I thought I just held onto the outside bit while unscrewing the inside. No need to drill or anything.

there is nothing to unscrew i guess. The inside is almost flush to the cooler wall and has a hexagonal opening about 1/2-inch diameter. I suppose I could "jam" something in there to keep it from turning and turn the outside spigot? Does that sound like what you guys did?

the_bird said:

You can get a round 5-gallon Rubbermaid cooler at Target or Wal-Mart for $19 or so. As long as you preheat it (add some boiling water for five or ten minutes before doing your mash), it'll hold temps great even if you are using a modest amount of grain. It's big enough to start doing some bigger partial mashes, and even to ultimately do some small- to medium-sized AG batches. Much more flexible that using a small cooler, and likely will cost you pretty much the same.

Yeah, I use one of these. I have done 1.07 beer in it. I had room yet though. They hold temps very well.

trubador said:
there is nothing to unscrew i guess. The inside is almost flush to the cooler wall and has a hexagonal opening about 1/2-inch diameter. I suppose I could "jam" something in there to keep it from turning and turn the outside spigot? Does that sound like what you guys did?

I am not sure, as I don't have one of these...but I would venture a guess that either it is press fit or it has a threaded coller inside the wall that you can't see. I would try what you mention as long as you are not worried about ruining it. It could be reverse thread for all you know too, so that is something to consider as well. It is doubtful but, you never know.

I have that exact same cooler, and it unscrewed. They might have changes the design, but I doubt it (and I bought it within the past couple months). I'll see if I can find the pieces and post a pic.

the_bird said:

I am a stove-top brewer, at least for the moment. And 3 gallons of water is the most I have patience to boil. So that sort of constrains me.

I considered getting a 5 gallon cooler for AG brewing. I think I could achieve a full 5 gallon batch if I split the boil into two pots on two separate burners on the stove, but I haven't really heard of people doing this. As I understand it, most people do one big boil in an 8 gallon pot or larger on a propane burner. That isn't really possible for me (no place indoors to go, too cold outside right now to do it in my backyard).

But a 2-3 gallon partial mash -- no problem. I can do that on the stove in an hour or two.

before i got the turkey frier i juggled 3 stock pots on the electric stove for my first two all grain batches. it works but 3 near boil overs at once is a real pita

i linked to one with progress and styrian goldings
orfy uses fuggles and kent goldings( which i want to try next time)

I converted the same cooler (36 qt. extreme) about 2 months ago. Great cooler for 5 gallon batches! That hex opening is the same size as the head on a 5/16" bolt. I took a 5/16" X 2" hex head cap screw (bolt) and put a double nut on the end. One end was held with a wrench, the other went into the hex shaped hole. Spin the outside collar, and it is out.

Unfortunately, that cooler is thick, and my bulkhead would not work. To make a long story short, I reinstalled the spigot (1/2" inside diameter), and put a piece of 1/2" od tube through it, a bit longer that the spigot. I rammed a hose barb in from each end, and it holds water like a champ!

Latest posts

Back