Double Bastard. Give it another chance or am I "Not worthy"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Recently saw Double Bastard at the package store. I immediately grabbed a bottle, I was stoked. I love Arrogant Bastard so I figured this would be AWESOME!

I was disappointed. :(

I found it to be wicked solventy and loaded with fusels. I could not really even distinguish the hops or the malt character.

Did I get a bad bottle or does this one HAVE to be aged before it is consumed.

Or am I just not worthy? :(

You are not worthy. Just give up go back to your fizzy yellow pee and leave the real beer to the men.

Honestly I've never had Double B, so it might just be a beer that will benefit from aging.

I found DB to be excessively sweet. I'm sure they're trying to make it more palatable to people, but I'm not a big fan of overly sweet beers.

oh well. Guess I'll go get a case of bud light instead of trying another bottle.

:(

I was expecting over the top but this was like cheap grain alcohol mixed in with regular bastard.

Okay, I suck. I was afraid to post this so as not to face the truth, but there you go.

oh well. Guess I'll go get a case of bud light instead of trying another bottle.

:(

I was expecting over the top but this was like cheap grain alcohol mixed in with regular bastard.

Okay, I suck. I was afraid to post this so as not to face the truth, but there you go.

Well here's a good "gateway beer" for you.

BottandGlassBudAmAle.JPG

:D

Seriously though, it's okay not to like a certain beer. Not everyone likes everything....but I wonder if you got a bad bottle. Maybe trying it again, espcially if you can find it on tap someday may either change your mind, or confirm it for you.

Well Like I say, I LOVE the regular bastard. I find it a very well balanced delicious beer.

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! American barley wines which are equivalent in IBU's and abv to double bastard. Old Ruffian is my current favorite. Others being SN Bigfoot and Rock Art Vermonster. Those are well balanced as well and in the 9-11% range though not hot alcohol wise.

Good thing I just polished off a bomber of barley wine or this whole thread might depress me.

:D

I found DB to be excessively sweet. I'm sure they're trying to make it more palatable to people, but I'm not a big fan of overly sweet beers.

I agree. The problem, IMO, whith these "double" type beers is that they double the malt, double the hops but then don't change anything else. So at the same mash temp and with the same yeast you get a high FG. And with this beer, the original is probably already approaching the limit of IBUs, maybe there is more hop flavor in the double but the bitterness does not increase to counter the increased FG.

It has been a while since I tried the Double Bastard, but I remeber it being too sweet. And for the price, I will take regular Arrogant Bastard any day.

Well, I suppose I will give it another go once there is nothing else "new" to try around here. Which will be soon.

I'll get it from another store so hopefully it will be a different batch, or at least treated differently.

I can see how it could be really sweet as some folks have suggested. However that was not detectable in the one I had. The alcohol was so burning it was literally like drinking spirits.

I buy double bastard a year before I want to drink it. It improves with age. I don't like AB very much, and I think DB is actually better balanced, so go figure.

I thought the DB was a great beer. I'm actually tempted to buy one of those huge bottles and save it for a special occasion. I just picked up a 6 pack of the oaked bastard tonight that I'm bringing to a party to share. I had to try one right away. It was good, but didn't impress me as much as the Double Bastard.

I had a double bastard 2 or 3 years ago and was not pleased, but I forget why exactly. I remember trying the oaked bastard and almost pouring it out... way to much vanilla flavor.

I just wanted to give you props though for referring to a "package store." As a New England ex-pat living in Oregon, I get all kinds of crazy looks when I say package store instead of liquor store.

Okay then. I made myself retry the Double Bastige tonight.

Despite my funked up taste perception today, or maybe because of it, smeg if I know. Or care, kinda buzzed, I enjoyed it immensely!

If I weren't buzzed (and no it was not the only beer I had tonight) I would probably be a bit ticked off at the state of my taste perceptions...

Woohoo, Something tasted good for a change!!!

Celebrate!

and goodnight before I drink more and get blitzed...

:drunk:

I am enjoying my first DB right now and enjoying it immensely. Anyone know what hops they use in it? It does not taste like double chinook to me.

Back