I finally broke down and bought a dremel...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I decided to drive the extra mile and go to my local Lowes instead of Home Depot.

I couldn't believe how helpful people were compared to Home Depot.

Long story short, I bought a Dremel XPR 400, and now I can't look at anything without wanting to cut, polish or grind it...

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

Polish a keggle with it, that ought to keep you busy

I bought a Dremel knockoff at Harbor Freight... I love that store, love that tool!

The Pol said:
I bought a Dremel knockoff at Harbor Freight... I love that store, love that tool!

I'm actually going to harbor freight today to buy that $7.99 knockoff. I have a knockoff already that is battery powered but it just doesn't have the juice to keep going, but it works great for maybe 2 minutes.

8 dollar dremel? Is it powered with a crank? Seems a little too good to be true...

Whats the RPM on it? I assume it's a single speed...

Mine was not $8... about $25, variable speed, great battery and 5k-25k rpm.... it also will accept all dremel bits

Cutting, polishing, grinding, chasing cats off the kitchen table, Dremel does it all!

Get the goosenack pencil attatchment and some engraving bits and put some scrollwork on the kettle!

Personally I think the Dremel is the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. It's too underpowered and weak to do anything worthwhile. The bits are too expensive for something that usually lasts a few minutes a piece before wearing out or falling apart on me. The cutting discs are way to fragile to cut anything harder than balsa wood or thicker than a beer can. I tried cutting the bottom off a 5gal plastic water jug to use as a hopper for my mill. After cutting approx 8 inches of plastic, I had already had 4 cutting discs snap on me. I finished the job with a hand saw, and finished it in half the time as the dremel cut the first 8 inches.

Every time I think I have a great job for the dremel, I always end up getting frustrated by its total crapiness, and go get a real tool to do the job. Short of small crafts, and tiny little detail work, I have found it to be a totally worthless addition to my tool collection. You see footage of the thing on TV, polishing and cutting through metal, and doing all kinds of heavy duty jobs, but I have found a combination of a sawzall, angle grinder, basic hand tools, and common sense, will get you alot further with most jobs, than with a dremel.

Now that is just me. Maybe you'll be completely happy with the Dremel, and it will do everything you ever wanted it to do, but I felt the need to break out my festivus poll, and air my grievances.

Bokonon said:
This is the one I'm going to get http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94076

I really just need it to cut some slits in PVC.

They also have a ~$25 one thats adjustable speed. If the cheapo one doesn't work for me, I'll either take it back and buy the slightly better one or take my project over to a friends and borrow his real Dremel

Well I went to harbor freight and saw the slightly better one with the adjustable speed was like 18 bucks so I had to go with it.

bgrubb7 said:
Personally I think the Dremel is the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. It's too underpowered and weak to do anything worthwhile. The bits are too expensive for something that usually lasts a few minutes a piece before wearing out or falling apart on me. The cutting discs are way to fragile to cut anything harder than balsa wood or thicker than a beer can. I tried cutting the bottom off a 5gal plastic water jug to use as a hopper for my mill. After cutting approx 8 inches of plastic, I had already had 4 cutting discs snap on me. I finished the job with a hand saw, and finished it in half the time as the dremel cut the first 8 inches.

Every time I think I have a great job for the dremel, I always end up getting frustrated by its total crapiness, and go get a real tool to do the job. Short of small crafts, and tiny little detail work, I have found it to be a totally worthless addition to my tool collection. You see footage of the thing on TV, polishing and cutting through metal, and doing all kinds of heavy duty jobs, but I have found a combination of a sawzall, angle grinder, basic hand tools, and common sense, will get you alot further with most jobs, than with a dremel.

Now that is just me. Maybe you'll be completely happy with the Dremel, and it will do everything you ever wanted it to do, but I felt the need to break out my festivus poll, and air my grievances.

My experience has been the mixed also. I found that actually using the correct bit is crucial to the effectiveness. Also, using a far lighter touch and having a lot of patients helps as well.

However, it certainly has it's uses. It much more effective at creating slits in copper for the mash tun filters than a saw. Also, I had bought 3 site glasses that doubles as a thermometer through and a brewmometer only to find that the thermometer would not fit through the site glass fitting because of less than 1 1/2 millimeter notch. A quick grind with the dremel on the inside of the nut took care of that - something that could not have been done with very few other tools.

I have never had any issues with a Dremel, whether it was my own or the one in the woodshop i worked for. I agree, use the right tool for the right job...

Bought the grinding and sanding kit for my dremel and turned a spare spark plug socket into a pin lock socket in about 10 minutes. Great little tools IMO.

We use a Dremel to trim our dogs' nails. A sanding bit will grind them down very effectively.

scottthorn said:
We use a Dremel to trim our dogs' nails. A sanding bit will grind them down very effectively.

Ha! I even tried that. The noise from the dremel, freaks my dog out and she won't sit still. I know my dogs a wuss and that's not the dremel's fault, but still, more dremel disappointment.

They do have their place, and I certainly agree you have to use the right tool for every job. Unfortunately I have rarely encountered the right job for that particular tool, and felt like venting.

Latest posts

Back