Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@azscoob

Wanted to say thanks one more time for the recipe. I entered it again in a local brew competition and took home a gold medal!

Cheers! :mug:

@azscoob

Wanted to say thanks one more time for the recipe. I entered it again in a local brew competition and took home a gold medal!

Cheers! :mug:

Hells yeah! That sort of thing makes me a very proud papa! Congrats on the gold my friend! I need to scroll this thread and get a medal count going. :rockin::rockin:

I didn't follow the recipe exactly, but used it as a base with a few modifications. One major change was Belgian Ale Yeast - 1214, as that's what I had on-hand, fermented at 70. Entered it as a Belgian Blonde, and came in second place in a competition. Great recipe, thanks!

I didn't follow the recipe exactly, but used it as a base with a few modifications. One major change was Belgian Ale Yeast - 1214, as that's what I had on-hand, fermented at 70. Entered it as a Belgian Blonde, and came in second place in a competition. Great recipe, thanks!

Another awesome post! I love it!!!

All right, cracked open the first bottle tonight. This was not only my first AG, but first time using a lot of new equip i didnt have before (stir plate, wort chiller, turkey fryer, etc) so a lot could have gone wrong. Proud to say this turned out amazing, and is a huge confidence boost after producing some pretty poor stuff previously. OG was 1.059 or so, FG 1.005. Stuck to the recipe exactly, though i ended up with 4 gal of packaged beer as i wasnt familiar with how much my new turkey fryer would boil off in an hour. 3 weeks in primary between 68f and 75f, and 10 days in the bottle. Cant wait to see how it tastes with a little more time.

http://imgur.com/IQkpvA4
http://imgur.com/ZgDWsOO

Rang in the new year today by brewing a batch of this. I did make some changes, some out of necessity, some out of preference, and some out of sloppy brewing habits :D

I subbed the Fuggle and Sorachi FWH additions with Motueka (same amounts), used closer to 1.5 lbs of clover honey, and added the orange peel from roughly two oranges @ 5 mins.

Just pitched some washed 3711 a few minutes ago. Came in at 1056 @ 5.5 gallons.

I stupidly waited until after my first batch was gone before I brewed the third. Not making that same mistake again :mug:

I brewed this mid January and only now am getting around to bottling. Honestly, I expected it to be infected at this point (I had a much younger pale ale a few months ago that sat right next to the saison get infected).

Below is picture of what it looked like. I'm not worried about it but I can't decide if the picture shows an infection or a healthy batch. The white spots aren't bubbles but were small solid floating pieces.

The sample tasted great so I bottled it yesterday. I was hoping for a bit more orange flavor to come through but it hasn't (at least my warm and flat sample didn't :D)

saison mini pellicle.jpg

Mine looked much worse, similar but it looked like yours almost on top of the while thing. So far I've had around 10 bottles and no sign of any of them being infected.

Thanks for creating and sharing this recipe, azscoob! My brother and I brewed up an 8 gallon batch of this today. Followed your recipe exactly, with the exception of using Belle Saison yeast instead of the 3711. Smelled and looked awesome, and our OG came out at either 1.061 or 1.062 (buncha foam made it tough to see perfectly), so I'm hoping we managed to create something pretty close to your original.

I had visible airlock activity after about five hours, so I'm hoping the yeast is already happy and healthy. Now to be patient and wait for them to do their job...

I did my second brew of this two weeks ago but the first time using 3711. It smelled great a few days in but when I pulled a gravity sample yesterday it had a strong sulfur odor. The SG was 1.002 and I was planning on bottling next Saturday. Should I bother if the sulfur smell hasn't dissipated? Will it age out? I was planning on using some of the yeast from this batch on a Tank 7 clone but don't want to ruin it too.

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable replies.

Mine has been in the fermenter for 3 weeks now, I'm really curious how it's doing. I'm planning to leave it for another week but I may pull a sample today.

Hi there,
Looking for a basic Saison recipe and came across this "eternal" thread!!! going on since 2011 - must be great !!
I want to try adding rieslig grapes to a saison so I am looking at a very basic recipe without too much spices. Wanted to brew the original recipe from the first page of this thread. Since the riesling will add some sugar and raise the ABV% I was aiming for saison around 5% which would end up closer to 7-8 with the grapes I guess....
I have Sorachi and fuggle as well.
All of you out there that brewed the original version of this one, can you provide insights about adding grapes and if you think this could be a good end result?
Cheers

I made the OG except used Saaz for the hops. The only Saisons I've tried with grapes was from Saranac. The only thing I got in that was a slight vinous character, nothing really fruity/grapey though. I think it would work well in this, but if your looking for the semi-sweet wine like character that Riesling is known for I don't think you'll get that.

Thaks Bolus.
I am dfnitey aiming for a very dry version not a sweet riesling type of drink. I understand you get more of the vinous caractere and not the grapde juice.
Thanks

I'll be brewing this up today. Instead of the black pepper, I have a lb of black pepper candi sugar I plan on using. It's got a blend of 3 different kinds of black pepper...took a tiny taste test at the LHBS and it tasted killer.

They had about 15 different kinds of this flavored candi sugar....tried a ginger blonde ale made with it and it was quite tasty.

Are those locally made and sold just there? Or can you buy them online? I was at a brew store the other day that had candi syrup designed for certain beers. I got a wit one with orange peels, coriander, and a bit of ginger in it. Kinda feels like cheating though. But with something as easy to overdo as black pepper, I'd definitely be interested in going the pre-made route

Are those locally made and sold just there? Or can you buy them online? I was at a brew store the other day that had candi syrup designed for certain beers. I got a wit one with orange peels, coriander, and a bit of ginger in it. Kinda feels like cheating though. But with something as easy to overdo as black pepper, I'd definitely be interested in going the pre-made route

I think we might be talking about the same stuff. It was e Cascade Beer Candi Sugar. For whatever reason, the black pepper sugar isn't shown on their website.

http://www.cascadebeercandi.com/pageHome

Let me know how the Wit sugar turns out....sounds tasty. My saison is still fermenting...it'll be at least a month before I'll be able to taste the final version, but I need to take a gravity measurement pretty soon....fingers crossed.

Enjoyed my first bottle last night after patiently waiting 3 weeks for it to carbonate and condition. Really pleased with how it came out. Nice and dry with classic saison esters. Medium bodied. Big rocky head with excellent retention. Serving this at my wedding in 3 weeks!

View attachment 277526

Awesome! Raise a glass at the reception for home brewing!

I had my first glass last night and I really enjoyed it. I, like a few others in this thread, had what appeared to be an infection. But it seems to taste ok. I bleach bombed all my gear and will replace all my hoses. I'm wondering if maybe this beer just looks a little weird near the end of fermentation? Like I said a lot of others seem to have the same experience.... Pic attached.

This was also my first time ever working with a pump for aeration and liquid yeast, so if it is infected I would imagine its because of my inexperience in those areas.

Either way it tastes pretty good and its superrrr strong. OG was 1.062 and FG was .996 !!!

I'll see how it ages and if its infected I'm sure relatively soon it will become obvious taste-wise

View attachment 1431547150247.jpg

I, like a few others in this thread, had what appeared to be an infection. But it seems to taste ok.

Yours is the only one I've seen so far in this thread that looks like it may actually have an infection. Though it's hard to tell without a close up. Often an infection will look white and powdery on the bubbles, kind of like what I think I am seeing in your picture.

Yours is the only one I've seen so far in this thread that looks like it may actually have an infection. Though it's hard to tell without a close up. Often an infection will look white and powdery on the bubbles, kind of like what I think I am seeing in your picture.

Well it wasn't powdery and there were no bubbles. Those spots were all kind of translucent... They were like little oil spots. I posted a thread on the beginners forum and basically everyone said that it was infected. So I don't know, maybe it is but it tastes pretty awesome....

I'm mostly just worried about future brews being infected.

I'm thinking of brewing this one again, but adding Thai basil instead of black pepper. The pepper didn't come through in my staple last week, maybe after bottling it'll be more present.

Hi there,
Looking for a basic Saison recipe and came across this "eternal" thread!!! going on since 2011 - must be great !!
I want to try adding rieslig grapes to a saison so I am looking at a very basic recipe without too much spices. Wanted to brew the original recipe from the first page of this thread. Since the riesling will add some sugar and raise the ABV% I was aiming for saison around 5% which would end up closer to 7-8 with the grapes I guess....
I have Sorachi and fuggle as well.
All of you out there that brewed the original version of this one, can you provide insights about adding grapes and if you think this could be a good end result?
Cheers

This recipe with grapes sounds like a fantastic idea. 3711 is almost a wine yeast anyway I'm told.

Be sure to report back! :mug:

I have a little more than a case of this left from brewing it a couple months ago. Thinking of making it again and adding blueberries, or mixed berries. Anybody have any thoughts on doing this? I'm looking to have the aroma and taste of Sea Dog's Blueberry Ale if you've ever had that. The blueberry is noticeable, more than most blueberry ales. I'm thinking i'll need more than 5lbs of blueberries or would it be better to combine extract and blueberries? I know that some extracts impart somewhat of a chemical taste so i'm thinking that using a combination may get rid of that.

Hoping I can brew this tomorrow and have it ready by July 4th, I think there's plenty of time unless getting the blueberry to come through takes more than a week or two.

When I brew my blueberry summer ale I use 5 lbs of fresh picked berries, I wash em, freeze em, thaw and smush them prior to racking onto them, it adds a week to 10 days to my grain to glass timeframe.

Sounds like a busy brew day :drunk:

I read your Blueberry Ale recipe, you stated it's very subtle with 5 lbs of berries. If I want it noticeable do you think a couple more pounds would be good or should i push closer to around 10lbs, 2:1 ratio?

I just brewed this saison today and my numbers were spot on!! My SG was 1.063 with a fermenter volume of 5.5gallons. Based on that SG and how 3711 ferments, this could be a more powerful saison than I originally anticipated......which I like!! Thanks azscoob for the recipe. I'll report back once I'm able to give her a taste.

Tim

Looking forward to brewing this next week. I couldn't get the Wyeast. I have one packet of Danstar Belle Saison, its all my LHBS had. If I rehydrate should it be enough for a beer with this OG, or would I be safer to do a starter.

The honey ferments out almost completely, and depending on the pepper used its rather subtle, all things balance so as not to be single faceted.

I'm hoping it comes out good, I'm a new brewer and so far my beers have been slightly disappointing.

I just brewed this yesterday, but converted the recipe (in terms of water usage only) to BIAB. Ended up with 1.062 OG, but I had an extra lb of pilsner in there due to not wanting to keep an extra lb of pilsner in the house all alone. Tasted very sweet out of the kettle, it will be interesting to taste again when the honey ferments out. Mash temp started around 152 but I added some cold water and pushed it down to 149 rather quickly, and by the end of the hour it was 147. Hopefully we'll get the dryness that you showed in the original.

Cheers to what's looking to be a great recipe!

ML

Brewed this today as well. I had to do some changes based on what my LHBS had (British 2-row instead of pilsner malt, Caramel 60 instead of Caramunich, and as mentioned before I could only get one packet of Belle Saison yeast where no other relevant yeast was available). I don't know what happened but I ended up getting my worst efficiency ever on this batch: 64%, about 10% lower than I have averaged my last 5 brews. First time doing a mash-out, otherwise everything else was standard practice.

Regardless, looking forward to this beer for summertime and it's a great recipe.

Ok, so here is a pic of my cottage house saison beer in the primary 4 days post brew. It's bubbling great but there is this white stuff that's mixed in the krausen. No idea what it is......is it part of the fermentation or could it be a possible infection. Never seen this before. The white part almost looks like foam in a beer. Any thoughts??

IMG_0401.JPG

Back