efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyHobbit

Reaction score
I am new to AG. I keep hearing things about efficiency. I still haven't really got a grasp of what it is, or how it's measured. Maybe someone would be good at explaining what efficiency is, and how we measure it.

Thanks for all of the awesome advice!

The very short answer for those wanting the executive summary is:

efficiency - a measure of how much sugar in the grain is converted, extracted, and deposited to the fermenter.

By calculating the available sugars for each grain and weight you use and compare that against an actual gravity and volume measurement of the wort you get. Again, refer to my all grain primer.

By calculating the available sugars for each grain and weight you use and compare that against an actual gravity and volume measurement of the wort you get. Again, refer to my all grain primer.

He's right. His primer really is very excellent and would answer many questions. I think the best way to learn this is to brew a batch and run the calculations yourself by hand.

efficiency - a measure of how much sugar in the grain is converted, extracted, and deposited to the fermenter.
Personally, I think the only important measure is mash efficiency, pre boil. That’s the true number of how good a job you did at extracting sugars from your grain. What you put in the fermenter is no more important than what you put in the bottle. So those bottles that you over-filled and a bit ran on the floor. There go a few more points. And if you are going to count that, you better find a way to measure what makes it into your mouth. Did that dribble that ran down your chin take away from your efficiency? And god forbid you over drink and Ralph some up.

Now that I think of it, measuring urine volume might be the ultimate test of brewhouse efficiency. :drunk:

Personally, I think the only important measure is mash efficiency, pre boil. That’s the true number of how good a job you did at extracting sugars from your grain. What you put in the fermenter is no more important than what you put in the bottle. So those bottles that you over-filled and a bit ran on the floor. There go a few more points. And if you are going to count that, you better find a way to measure what makes it into your mouth. Did that dribble that ran down your chin take away from your efficiency? And god forbid you over drink and Ralph some up.

Now that I think of it, measuring urine volume might be the ultimate test of brewhouse efficiency. :drunk:

I agree with you I think you're trying to say - but how can you only mention mash efficiency and pre-boil, without any regard to lauter efficiency? Who cares if you convert 100% if you only get 50% into the kettle? I'm more concerned with lauter efficiency...

I am new to AG. I keep hearing things about efficiency. I still haven't really got a grasp of what it is, or how it's measured. Maybe someone would be good at explaining what efficiency is, and how we measure it.

Thanks for all of the awesome advice!

The term refers to how much of a grain's potential sugars the brewer is extracting from the mash. Brewing grains each have potential extract numbers listed. For example a pale malt might have an extract potential of 36 points, expressed as 36 points (of gravity) per pound of grain per gallon of wort. So if 100% of the sugar potential of this grain were extracted, one pound of this grain in one gallon of wort would produce a SG of 1.036. The higher your efficiency the more gravity you get out of a given weight of malt. At 67% it's 24 points, at 75% it's 27 points, at 86% it's 31 points and so on.

At a typical extraction rate efficiency of 75% you will extract 75% of the grain's potential sugar or 27 gravity points per gallon for that grain, since .75 X 36 = 27. So at a mash extraction efficiency of 75% with 10 pounds of pale malt in a five gallon batch you would wind up with an OG of 1.054. ( 2 lbs per gallon X 36 points per pound potential X .75 mash efficiency X 5 gallons = 54 gravity points) As to measuring don't kill yourself, plug your session into one of the available brewing software programs or online calculators. Also don't fret about getting an extreme efficiency number. Shoot for consistancy first. Read all of the links suggested above as well as at least one good homebrew textbook like "How to Brew".

:mug:

I realize you're probably kidding but I disagree (in case you're serious). You can mash and lauter as efficiently as you like, but if you leave 2 gallons in the bottom of the boiler, you aren't very efficient. All that matters is how much sugar makes it into the fermenter and becomes alcohol.

I realize you're probably kidding but I disagree (in case you're serious). You can mash and lauter as efficiently as you like, but if you leave 2 gallons in the bottom of the boiler, you aren't very efficient. All that matters is how much sugar makes it into the fermenter and becomes alcohol.
Kidding? Who me?

Pre-boil gravity tells you how efficient your mashing process is. As soon as you start your boil any measurements you take will give you a revised efficiency of your process up to that point. Kind of a running tally on your brewhouse efficiency. When members come here asking why their efficiency is bad, they have to be clear if it is mash efficiency or brewhouse efficiency that they're talking about. The only way to do that is with both a pre-boil and fermenter gravity reading. Loosing some of the volume of your wort accounts for efficiency loss beyond the pre-boil stage. That is something that can’t be helped by a better crush or improving your lauter/sparge equipment and technique. (Unless you’re leaving a lot of wort in your tun.) Even so, these are the two things first mentioned to brewers who are asking for help.

Some brewers dump everything into the fermenter while others try to leave break, hops and other solids in the kettle. We then use this fermenter volume when calculating brewhouse efficiency. The trouble with this method is that by the time you go to bottle or keg the solids and break have dropped and you rack from above them. This reduces the volume of beer available. So if you are using the logic that a loss in volume is a loss in efficiency, any measurement before bottle or keg is misleading.

I prefer to be happy with a pre-boil reading for mash efficiency and pre/post fermenting readings only for the purpose of determining ABV.

But I still like the pee test best. :D

Back