Secondary Temperature Too Low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouza

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I racked three brews over to secondary over the weekend. They have been sitting in my freezer outside at 68 degrees since then. The temperatures outside are dipping into the 40's this weekend. My question is...
Should I bring the carboys inside (72 degrees in the house)? Would the temperature drop cause any ill effects in the secondary?
Thanks!

If your happy with your FG then cold crashing wont cause any ill effects. It will help drop some yeast and protiens to the bottom helping clarify the beer.

There is still a little bit of activity (fermentation) going on. I have been planning on cold crashing in about 2 more weeks.

Most of your fermentation sounds like its over, so finishing it at 72 deg probably won't do much in terms of strange yeast flavors. You're probably fine to bring it inside. If you end up cold crashing them outside, you could interrupt the fermentation and end up with sweet or (more likely) highly carbonated beer when you bottle. I'd say bring em inside until fermentation stops and then take them outside to cold crash them and let nature pay the refrigeration bill.

I agree with Gordie, secondary / conditioning for a week allows the yeast to clean up, and even outs the flavor. I would bring them in for at least a week, then crash cool after that.

Back