Damn I love Eggnog!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like mine with extra nog. I like mine with plenty of brandy.:)

I've never even tried the stuff, but I like my eggs scrambled or in an omlette.

There's just something not right about a beverage named eggnog.

ohiobrewtus said:
I've never even tried the stuff, but I like my eggs scrambled or in an omlette.

There's just something not right about a beverage named eggnog.

According to "The Joy of Cooking" I believe they mention it is good for invalids. :drunk:

Is it weird that I have never had eggnog? It is never at any of my families Xmas or other holiday parties and I have never had the inclination to buy it or make it myself.

I came to America from South Africa. When I heard about this stuff I though it didn't sound very good, however I tried it and really liked it. Now I buy it all the time for the holidays. I really like to put a touch of brandy in my eggnog.

cubbies said:
Is it weird that I have never had eggnog? It is never at any of my families Xmas or other holiday parties and I have never had the inclination to buy it or make it myself.

You're a smart man

rdwj said:
*sigh* From the title, I was expecting a killer Eggnog recipe. Damn you Talley!!

INGREDIENTS
6 large eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon table salt
4 cups whole milk
1/2-3/4 cup bourbon
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg , plus extra for garnish
1/2 cup heavy cream , whipped to soft peaks
  1. Off heat, whisk eggs, yolks, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in heavy 3- or 4-quart saucepan. Stir in milk, one-half cup at a time, blending well after each addition. Heat slowly over lowest possible flame, stirring constantly, until custard registers 160 degrees on instant read thermometer, thickens, and coats the back of a spoon, 25 to 30 minutes. Pour custard through sieve into large bowl; stir in liquor, vanilla and grated nutmeg. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least three hours and up to three days.
  2. Just before serving, whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks and gently fold into custard mixture until incorporated. Serve in chilled punch bowl or cups, garnishing with optional grated nutmeg.

DaveyBoy said:
But you'll try haggis? :D

Evan! thanks for the recipe. I've never had the real stuff, so I'm anxious to try it.

I said I'd be open to it... I've never tried either and I probably never will. I'll stick to beer and steak.

rdwj said:
*sigh* From the title, I was expecting a killer Eggnog recipe. Damn you Talley!!

another good one (for one serving):

1 egg
3 tbs brown sugar
1/3 cup cream
1/3 cup milk
Rum/Brandy/Whiskey to taste ;) :drunk:
Nutmeg and or Cinnamon

Separate the yolk from the white an put the yolk in your mug. Stir in sugar, milk and spirit. Whisk cream untill it peaks. Whisk egg white untill stiff. Fold the egg and cream into the milk mixture. Garnish with nutmeg or Cinnamon. Enjoy!

Evan! said:
only the homemade kind. I simply can't deal with the stuff from the dairy case.

I have a dairy 5 miles away. They make it there. As good as homeade. I also use grind my own nutmeg, it makes a big difference.

SuperiorBrew said:
Eggnog = YUK

Your Wisconsinite card has been revoked.;)

"I could at home right now drinking this monster eggnog my brother makes with lighter fluid."

I love eggnog so much that it has been known to be a meal for me. And don't get that light stuff either it comma it has to coat your throat on the way down.

Evan! said:
INGREDIENTS
6 large eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon table salt
4 cups whole milk
1/2-3/4 cup bourbon
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg , plus extra for garnish
1/2 cup heavy cream , whipped to soft peaks
  1. Off heat, whisk eggs, yolks, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in heavy 3- or 4-quart saucepan. Stir in milk, one-half cup at a time, blending well after each addition. Heat slowly over lowest possible flame, stirring constantly, until custard registers 160 degrees on instant read thermometer, thickens, and coats the back of a spoon, 25 to 30 minutes. Pour custard through sieve into large bowl; stir in liquor, vanilla and grated nutmeg. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least three hours and up to three days.
  2. Just before serving, whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks and gently fold into custard mixture until incorporated. Serve in chilled punch bowl or cups, garnishing with optional grated nutmeg.

Air Pirate said:
another good one (for one serving):

1 egg
3 tbs brown sugar
1/3 cup cream
1/3 cup milk
Rum/Brandy/Whiskey to taste
Nutmeg and or Cinnamon

Separate the yolk from the white an put the yolk in your mug. Stir in sugar, milk and spirit. Whisk cream untill it peaks. Whisk egg white untill stiff. Fold the egg and cream into the milk mixture. Garnish with nutmeg or Cinnamon. Enjoy!

Thanks guys!! Will have to give these a go!

rdwj said:

Nope, I was just drunk and I drank about a half gallon of eggnog.:D

I like to make my eggnog with Kaluah and Baily's Irish Cream, I mix 2 parts store bought organic eggnog with one part baily's and one part kaluah, delicious.

There is also a legendary drink that you can get this time of year in certain Japanese restaurants known as the nog-a-sake, which is a mixture of eggnog and sake.

When i was little, I thought eggnog was vile stuff. I tried it again in my teens and realized the error of my earlier ways.

Then again, when I was little I didn't like Coke, pizza, salsa, or Mexican food, but I would eat my vegetables. Now I don't discriminate much ragarding food.....whether that's good or not, I'm not sure. :D

I would suggest having a look at the caloric content of egg nog. The holidays are a time of exuberance, and we should make smart choices.

Egg nog has twice the calories of a good homebrew (even without the rum - with rum, x3) Why not turn down the egg nog, and instead say 'yes please' to two homebrews.

kenche said:
I would suggest having a look at the caloric content of egg nog. The holidays are a time of exuberance, and we should make smart choices.

Egg nog has twice the calories of a good homebrew (even without the rum - with rum, x3) Why not turn down the egg nog, and instead say 'yes please' to two homebrews.

Not to get all 'up-in-yo-face' or nothin :D, but to me I think a better approach is to eat well the year round, and then splurge in the holidays. :) I mean if I eat veggies and grains, etc 345 days out of the year and the other 20 I have loads of fatty, high caloric foods, I don't think it's too big a deal personally :fro:

1 small cup (250 ml) of eggnog = ~ 1 pint of homebrew
1 small cup (250 ml) of eggnog w/ rum = ~ 2 pints of homebrew

easy choice for me

I used to make this as a kid before I knew it was supposed to have alcohol in it. Also, This was when nobody really complained about raw eggs too much.
I still make it and I don't worry about the raw egg thing

1 1/2 - 2 cups whole milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
a hint of nutmeg
2-3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Blend in blender

Now, I find that like 1/2 a shot of Evan Williams Burbon tops the whole thing off! a whole shot is overpowering flaver wise. I find that that hint of burbon really just adds a perfect flavor and too much of it ruins it. This is one time I believe moderation is key to getting the perfect flavor ballance.

Love me some eggnog and Southern Comfort! Being lactose intolerant it is a love hate relationship. When I was younger I use to pound the McDonalds eggnog milk shakes.

I like mine with a healthy tot of Captain Morgans Dark spiced rum (or Kraken if I have it). Also in my coffee (with the rum as well, wakey-wakey let's get bakey!!)

Back