Help Finding a Christmas Beer (julöl) Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigglebock

Reaction score
My friend and I are looking to brew a lovely julöl as winter approaches - unfortunately I'm having a devil of a time locating a recipe. Does anyone here have any experience brewing Scandinavian Christmas beer (he speaks Norwegian, I speak lite Svenska, so any country's recipes are acceptable. As long as they're Swedish :mug: ) or know where we can find a recipe?

Thanks for the help!

Here is a kvass my friend Nathan and I brewed for an article we just submitted to BYO. It was just bottled, so I haven't gotten to taste it yet.

Winter Kvass (Jul Kvass)

Fresh spruce clippings are used in place of hops for this batch. Make sure to use only the new growth spruce tips. Elderberries can be purchased at many natural food stores and add a flavor similar to slightly tart raisins.

Recipe Specifics
----------------
OG: = 1.040
FG = 1.010
SRM = 12
IBU = 0
Efficiency = 70%

Grain
-----
40.0% - 3.00 lbs. Maris Otter
40.0% - 3.00 lbs. Beechwood Smoked Malt
6.7% - 0.50 lbs. Rye Malt
6.7% - 0.50 lbs. Brown Malt
6.7% - 0.50 lbs. Crystal Rye

Hops
------
None

Other
-------
5 grams fresh new growth spruce tips @ 30 min
20 grams dried elderberries lightly crushed @ 0 min

Yeast
-----
Bread Yeast (Red Star or Fleishman’s)

Instructions
---------------
Slice a loaf of stale rye bread and soak it in one gallon of 190 degree water overnight. It is best to do this in a cooler to retain as much heat as possible.

Puree the loaf of pumpernickel bread and soaking water with a stick blender and add to the boil kettle along with the mash runnings. Due to the short boil and added bread water make sure not to collect too much wort pre-boil.

Stir the beer as it comes to a boil to prevent scorching. Boil for 30 minutes with the spruce added at the start and the elderberries added at the end. Pitch 1 gram of bread yeast rehydrated in a few tablespoons of warm (90-100 F) for five minutes.

Without the protection of hops this beer will likely develop a lactic acid character as it ages. It can be drunk young, but additional aging is recommended to give a chance for the disparate flavors to come together.

After fermentation is complete rack to secondary and allow approximately 3 months for the beer to sour. When the gravity stabilizes bottle the beer with 3.5 oz of sugar for moderate carbonation.

I know this thread is a bit old but did you locate a recipe for Jule Hvidtøl? I'm interested in trying this out. Is there one on the Norwegian site? I'll need an English translation though. Skaal

Here is a kvass my friend Nathan and I brewed for an article we just submitted to BYO. It was just bottled, so I haven't gotten to taste it yet.

Winter Kvass (Jul Kvass)

Fresh spruce clippings are used in place of hops for this batch. Make sure to use only the new growth spruce tips. Elderberries can be purchased at many natural food stores and add a flavor similar to slightly tart raisins.

Recipe Specifics...

This looks like a good recipe. Any idea what the ABV would be on it?

Back