start gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delweaver

Reaction score
I did my first batch of cider two weeks ago I took a hydrometer reading and came up with 1.060 is this accurate can you take gravity readings with store bought apple juice.

you can get a gravity on anything that has sugar in the water I suppose. Dont know if this is accurate. It would depend on what type. all juices are different, even brand to brand. I have had ciders that I bought at the same time that had different gravitys. Ask EdWort. I bet he knows all about apple juice and SG

1.06 is a bit high for most store bought ciders, which generally range to 1.04 - 1.055 but your reading is not overly high. Perhaps you just found a nice and sweet product.

maybe but the recipe calls for a finishing gravity of 0.099 which if my math is wrong only comes out to like 5-6% ABV I feel like it should be higher am I wrong?

If you meant an FG of .999, then with a OG of 1.06, then that ends up more like 8% abv, not 5-6

Back