critique my session recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmurda

Reaction score
im trying this recipe tomorrow and want some feed back on it. its the northern brewer petite saison d'ete with some twist to it. i want a nice session beer for the summer.

4.5 lbs belgian pils
2.75 vienna
.75 torrified wheat
1 oz kent goldings 60 min
.25 oz styrian 10 min
.25 oz saaz 10 min
.75 oz styrian 2 min
.75 oz saaz 2 min
1 oz paradise seeds 15 min
white labs american farmhouse blend (platinum)

Looks pretty good to me. I brewed the Saison D'ete recipe about 5 weeks ago with the 3711 yeast. I just put it into a keg yesterday, but that yeast took it from 1.048 to 1.003, so still a little too much alcohol for my idea of a session.

Yesterday, I brewed with 3711 again with the same grain bill, but this time had an OG of 1.038. I also hopped with 1 oz of Bramling Cross @ 60,10, and 2 min. I am trying to get something similar to XXtra from Brasserie Thiriez, which I thought was an excellent, hoppy, session strength saision (although $13 per 750 ml!). I've also heard that the 3711 strain is from that brewery, so we will see how it goes.

I'm curious to see what you think about the results of your beer, especially the characteristics of your yeast.

Cheers!

Back