Best canned crafts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
I'll be going to an annual guys weekend beach trip with my close buddies in two weeks. What are some of the best canned craft beers you've come across. My goal is to able to bring more great beer and cans are easier to transport/store than bottles.

I'm in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I have a LOT of great places around here that are starting to stock a lot of different cans.

I second Tallgrass. Albeit a little expensive if you are just going on a beach trip.

Sierra Nevada has good stuff in cans.

New Belgium puts Fat Tire and something else in a can.

Leinenkuckledugals has Summer Shandy in a can.

Thing to think about is you will be on a beach. Don't get anything heavy as they just don't really go that well in the heat.

Upslope makes some good stuff. I don't honestly think I've had a bad craft beer in a can. They're all good.

Also Ska. Their modus hoperandi is killer.

Most canned craft beer is likely to be good in my experience. It stores well, and the breweries that can their beer are usually top notch. There are some notable exceptions IMHO, but this thread is about the good stuff. A few of my favorites have already been mentioned - Oskar Blues and Ska top my list.

The fact that Surly hasn't been named is crazy! Furious and Abrasive might be the best beers ever canned. There... I said it. :)

Not sure which suburbs you're in, but Sly Fox in phoenixville makes great beers and cans all of them. Phoenix pale ale and pike land pils are my favorites

I really like the Sly Fox Pikeland Pils and their Weiss. I brought that last year.

In Maine we have some good stuff from Baxter brewing in cans, especially their Stowaway IPA. Not sure if you can get it in your neck of the woods though....

Brewery Vivant from grand rapids is making some fine beer in cans. I particularly enjoyed their Big Red Coq. Ha.

Yeah you did! :0

It was my favorite too! Too bad that stuff is probably not available out there. I just picked up a 4-pack of Triomphe to take to the UP with me. The FarmHand is nice also but still better on tap.

Can't go wrong with Dale's Pale Ale, especially for a beach trip. Such a drinkable beer, so well-balanced, good hop character but without being overwheming... one of my favorite beers, and one that you can drink a lot of and still enjoy.

Definitely 21st amendment, and I have recently had some rockin' Six Point beers that come in 16oz cans.

not cans, they're "nano-kegs"

haha. definitely second Sixpoint. awesome stuff. Resin is actually only a 12oz can (because it's 103 IBU or something) but it's amazing. Crisp or Apollo might be more "beach appropriate" though.

Blue Point Toasted Lager is a good one too.

The fact that Surly hasn't been named is crazy! Furious and Abrasive might be the best beers ever canned. There... I said it. :)

+1!!! Both of these are my most favorite canned brews! I live in SD, so I can't get it easily, but I'm going home (mpls) in a few weeks and plan to grab a case or so. Also, I've heard that Oskar Blues makes some damn good beer, and recently discovered I can acquire it in WI...Looks like I'll be making a beer pilgrimage to Hudson when I come back! haha

+1!!! Both of these are my most favorite canned brews! I live in SD, so I can't get it easily, but I'm going home (mpls) in a few weeks and plan to grab a case or so. Also, I've heard that Oskar Blues makes some damn good beer, and recently discovered I can acquire it in WI...Looks like I'll be making a beer pilgrimage to Hudson when I come back! haha

Nice! I'm from Watertown, SD originally. Been living in MPLS for the last few years. :mug:

Quite the fail to not mention where you are going. This discussion is hardly helpful to you if you can't access the beers mentioned.

Furious is awesome but so minimally distributed.

If you are going to SC get Westbrook ipa or even white thai(wit with lemongrass among other things)
Modus hoperendi and Avery ipa both good and widely available

I did mention where I was from in a later post...suburbs of Philly. I just picked up Bitter American from 21st Amendment and it's really nice! Thanks for the suggestions.

Deviant Dales in a tall boy, or Tecate when floating in normal river flow (from Cheyenne, WY).

Back