Random idea: hops in my stainless mesh tea ball?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeb

Reaction score
large_teaball.jpg

I make tea with this thing all the time. It could probably hold at least an ounce of pellets. Might not leave much room for them to expand though. Any thoughts, or anyone tried anything like this?

I tried that once...never again.

The hops expand and turn into a round brink. IT leaves no room for the wort to get in. I got next to ZERO hop utilization and wound up with an INSANELY sweet beer.

When I use pellet hops, I put them in a large 6" 'herb/tea ball' like you have pictured. Just don't fill it more than 50% full to allow for hop expansion (same as a mesh bag). They are much more durable than a plastic mesh bag.

I primarily use leaf hops and whirlpool to separate hops from the wort. Leaf hops form a nice filter on the bottom of the kettle.

I tried that once...never again.

The hops expand and turn into a round brink. IT leaves no room for the wort to get in. I got next to ZERO hop utilization and wound up with an INSANELY sweet beer.

Well I guess that's why I run these by here before trying it...

:mug:

Leeb said:
I make tea with this thing all the time. It could probably hold at least an ounce of pellets. Might not leave much room for them to expand though. Any thoughts, or anyone tried anything like this?

My buddy actually does that and makes great beer. I have three 3" mesh balls that I've used to good effect as well. Heads up, though: only put about half of what you think will work in there b/c, as others have written, the hops expand like CRAZY and you'll lose surface exposure/utilization. All in all, I think they're only useful for hefe or other beers with low hop presence anyway.

Back