When to rack an apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBM30075

Reaction score
I did an apfelwein 8 days ago with the following recipe:

3 gallons "natural" (cloudy) apple cider/juice
2 lbs. table sugar
yeast nutrient
Lalvin EC-1118

I'm doing this in a bucket, so I can't see into it. It bubbled like crazy through the airlock for several days. Now, the airlock is dead still. I mean, it's laying there; no upward pressure at all!

I know I need to give the yeasties time to clean up after themselves, and I'm not in a hurry to rack this, but I also don't want to wait too long. Would a week suffice before racking to secondary? That would give it a 2 week primary. I was told a month, but as long as fermentation has stopped, primary is done, right?

Also, when I do rack it, should I top off with apple juice? Here's my thinking:

less headspace (less air) + a little more fermentation = no oxidation

Is that right? With just a small addition of apple juice, should I worry about it foaming too much?

One more question: Like I said above, the juice I used was natural pressed, so it was cloudy. I didn't add any pectin enzyme. Should I do that now? When I rack to secondary? Not at all? I'm looking to clear the apfelwein eventually, so is pectin even the best route to go? Should I just use isinglass or another clearing agent a few days before bottling?

Thanks!

I made my apfelwein in a glass carboy and it has been sitting in there for over 2 months now. I'll probably leave it there for another month or so, and then keg it up and age it in there for a few more months.

Even after the airlock activity stopped, I could see small bubbles for up to about a month.

After about a month and the fermentation stopped, it started to drop clear and now it is looking pretty crystal clear and I didnt add any finings.

if you arent in a rush, give it at least a month or more in your primary and then just transfer to your secondary if you want (but its not needed). It should drop clear on its own.

I'd post a pic of mine, but Im not home right now. I'll send it later if you want....

If you

What about racking soon and adding juice so I can watch it to determine when it's done? Also, does light hurt cider?

FWIW I use 2 gallons of Apple juice, 2 gallons of apple cider & 2 pounds of corn sugar and ferment a 4 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy. Leave that sit in the primary carboy for 6-8 weeks. I don't worry about oxidation because I assume the fermentation activity takes all the air out and I never take the airlock off.

When racking first I add one gallon of apple juice to the keg. Then I rack from the carboy into the keg on top of the juice. that brings the total volume up to 5 gallons.

The extra gallon of un fermented juice mellows out the flavor quite a bit. There is also a secondary fermentation that happens in the keg & the keg carbonates itself. So I leave it in the keg for a month or so before cooling and drinking..

that's just what I do....

Back