Aluminum Window Screen as Hopstopper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Any potential problems boilding aluminum window screen that I can't foresee? I built one, and figured I'd test it tonight with just water. Is there something I'm not gonna notice that will cause me problems?

Most of them aren't really aluminum. In fact, most are not metal. How are you sure that that is what it is?

galvanized iron wire netting
enameled iron wire netting
aluminum coated iron wire netting
aluminum wire netting
fiberglass wire netting
PVC wire netting
stainless steel wire netting
PVC coated wire netting

Yea, just checked it again. Says aluminum in big letters and then in small letters it says "aluminum screening" ... it was 6.95 at Lowes for a ****load of it.

Aluminum window screens
Aluminum screening is a rugged, metal mesh. To make the fabric, a 3/8-inch-diameter aluminum rod is drawn out to a .011 mil (inch) wire. The manufacturer winds this wire on a master bobbin, loads the bobbin onto a modified loom and starts the machine weaving.

Once the screen fabric is woven, it's given a finish. Aluminum screen fabric typically comes in three colors: black, dark gray and bright aluminum. Black is least noticeable from inside the house (the darker the color, the better the outward visibility in most cases, because darker colors have less light reflectance and glare). Dark gray is made to complement painted window and frame systems. Although bright aluminum looks like raw aluminum, it has a clear coating that helps maintain the material's sheen.
Aluminum window screening is made as an "18 x 16" mesh. This simply means that there are 18 horizontal and 16 vertical "yarns" (or wires) per square inch. This type of screening is typically available in do-it-yourself rolls that are 7 or 25 feet long and 24, 28, 30, 32, 36 and 48 inches wide. Longer 100-foot rolls are available in additional widths, including 18, 20, 22, 26, 34, 42, 54, 70 and 72 inches. Price runs in the area of 30 to 35 cents per square foot.

I bolded what would be my concern.

I think if it were me I'd give it a pass. You could do your test and not taste or smell anything in the water but that doesn't mean there's nothing in it.

Mcmaster.com:
85385T957
(Same as 85385T79)
Corrosion-Resistant Type 304 SS Wire Cloth 30 X 30 Mesh, .012" Wire Diameter, 12" X 24" Sheet
In stock at $11.49 Each

Aluminum screen would oxidize and get nasty if you take the coating off.

That's what I'd use if I was sticking with the whole hopstopper idea. I'm going with a large suspended hop bag from now on because hopstoppers do not stop pellet hops.

I did one. Worked well, but it's a ***** to clean, so much so that I've only used it once.

Boil it for 30 minutes prior to use.

Back