Should I bother adjusting for Sodium & Magnesium?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
To come very close to achieving my Pale Ale profile on Bru'n water is pretty easy. However I need to use some distilled water and two extra types of salts to dial in the Sodium and Magnesium perfectly.

As it is, my Magnesium is 11 (instead of 18) and my sodium is 41 (instead of 25).

Do you think it would be beneficial to my beer to adjust those values or am I close enough without any real change to my beer?

Thanks!

I don't think you'll notice. I've put 3x that amount of magnesium and not quite sure what it added.

You don't even need to 'dial in' a profile. Just add some calcium chloride and gypsum to so RO or DI water (about a half tsp of each) and you will make a fine pale ale. However, you can probably improve on that ale by tweaking the amounts of calcium chloride and gypsum added. How much to tweak has to be determined by experiment but the happy news is that you can get a fair idea as to what sort of adjustments to make by adding the salts to and tasting the finished beer.

Notice that nothing has been said about sodium and magnesium ions. They are usually, but not universally, thought of as, at best, 'don't care' ions. Some people like the flavors they lend and to determine wheher they are a plus or minus for yoy you will again have to experiment.

IMHO, you want to keep Sodium low. 41 is close enough to 25 that I wouldn't worry about it.

You can bump up your Magnesium slighly by adding more Epsom Salt (MgSO4) but only if your SO4 level is not overly high (say below 250). Anywhere from 250-350 would be good. If your SO4 level's already getting up there I'd leave Mg as is.

Kal

Back