Using Ale Yeast instead of Lager Yeast - Dortmunder Gold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
All,

I recently tired some Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold and it was fantastic. I am new to homebrewing and have completed 3 batches so far.

My question is, I recently found a Dortmunder Gold kit that is using a Ale Yeast. Considering Dortmunder Gold is a Lager, is this OK? I don't have the capabilities to do Lagers at this time.

Recipe:
Malt Base 6 lb. Light DME OR 7.2 Light LME
Specialty Grains: 1/2 LB Munich , 1/4 Lb Victory, 1/4 40 L Crystal
Hops: 3 HBU Hallertau Pellets (bittering), 4 HBU Tettnang Hop Pellets
(aroma)
Suggested Yeast: White Labs American Ale Blend, Wyeast 1056

Thanks in advance! :mug:

Personally, I feel like you'd be cheating yourself by trying to replicate a lager beer, of any kind, using an ale yeast. There are so many great ale styles to brew, why set yourself up for disappointment?

First of all, I should say that I've never tried this, but...

If you can ferment in the 60's, you may be able to use a kolsch yeast to get something similar (but different!) than a lager. I know the Edwort uses this yeast in his oktoberfest ale.

I agree; there is a huge difference in flavor profiles produced by both ale yeasts and lager yeasts. There is also a huge difference when fermenting an ale yeast at 70* and fermenting it at 59*.

There are a lot of ale styles that you would probably be happier making rather than ending up with a lager loaded with fusels, fruity esters, and other flavors and aromas that are not at all appropriate in a traditional lager.

Back