Cutting Wire Shelving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLo

Reaction score
I'm looking to cut up a wire rack shelving unit to make a brew stand. I could use many tools for this. What is the best tool if I wanted to cut apart some of this shelving rack? Any tips on cutting it so I don't continually scratch myself? (I'm new at this)

WireShelf.jpg

Bolt cutters or a right angle grinder with metal cutting wheel comes to mind. With the grinder you could also smooth the cut ends nicely without too much work/effort.

I've had great success with a standard, battery-powered reciprocating saw. It cuts through them like butter.

Most common is in the 4.5" range... Just get the diameter disc that matches your tool, and get the correct thickness. You'll want one made to cut initially. You can use that to round the ends of the wire, but you don't want to try and cut with a grinding wheel. While it can work, it's a lot more work to get the same end result (takes longer to cut than the thin cutting wheel)...

4.5" Grider, cutting wheel, grinding wheel.

Hey - Maybe I can make my keg shiney too...

What cutting equipment do you have? Just about anything will work. Heck you *could* use a file and slooowly work your way through if you really wanted to. Here's my order of preference for what it's worth. I'm *trying* to take into consideration price, ease of use, and effort.

Grinder + cutting wheel
recip
bolt cutter
band saw
dremel
hack saw
file
butter knife

tools I have in my garage I would use in order of preference.
1. 4.5" angle grinder with 1/16" cut off wheel
2. sawzaw
3. hand saw
4. hand held jig saw with metal blade
5. dremel

-=Jason=-

As fate would have it I am now the prowd owner of a 4.5" angle grinder. I'll need to get a 1/16" cut off wheel, but that seems manageable. I'm fearful of hacksaws right now. The last thing I sawed in half was a 40 gallon gas water heater....and it wasn't too long ago.

As fate would have it I am now the prowd owner of a 4.5" angle grinder. I'll need to get a 1/16" cut off wheel, but that seems manageable. I'm fearful of hacksaws right now. The last thing I sawed in half was a 40 gallon gas water heater....and it wasn't too long ago.

the angle grinder is the most versatile tool I own. I have used it far more than any other specialty tool.

i've used it more times then I know, it was used to cut the granite tile for my keezer, it was used to cut my keggle top off, it was used to polish my keggle.

i've used it for many other non beer related things as well.

-=Jason=-

Just a heads up...use extreme caution while using an angle grinder. While they are not a heavy or high powered piece of equipment...at 11,000 rpms there is tremendous energy stored up and if it gets away the results can be dangerously devastating!

get a bulk pack of cutting and grinding wheels. Buying 1 wheel at a time from homedepot will cost you an arm and a leg.

Btw, eye protection is key with these bad boys, they can discharge a lot of metal and aluminum oxide dust. And a dust mask, otherwise you'll have metal boogers for a day. Ear/hearing protectors, these suckers are loud. And a good pair of leather gloves, you'll eventually hit your self with it.

Back