Willamette and Northern Brewer Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
I am a big fan of mixing varieties of hops when I brew. I have a butt load of Willamette and Northern Brewer hops and I was thinking about mixing the 2 together. Thoughts? Styles? I was thinking brown or porter, but I'm interested in what you all have to say. Discuss.

I used ~5 ounces of Willamette in an imperial brown (7.35%) and really liked it. Very minty when young but turns into a woody, earthy and herbal as it ages. Probably the best hops I've had yet in a brown ale.

1.25oz @ 60min
1.25oz @ 20min
1.25oz @ 10min
1.25oz @ 0min

If I had another ounce I would of dry hopped.

Try an English Pale Ale. NB for bittering, use both for flavor (15 - 10 mins), and Willamette for aroma.

English yeast of course.

I used ~5 ounces of Willamette in an imperial brown (7.35%) and really liked it. Very minty when young but turns into a woody, earthy and herbal as it ages. Probably the best hops I've had yet in a brown ale.

1.25oz @ 60min
1.25oz @ 20min
1.25oz @ 10min
1.25oz @ 0min

If I had another ounce I would of dry hopped.

This is a perfect description of Willamette. I personally do not like the minty thing going on with it, and I never noticed it dying off, but then again the times I've used it have been in English style beers that I never let get beyond a month or two.

I have used Willamette in a ESB and really liked it! Will do it again for sure.. i used Nugget for bittering next time i will use Warrior :)

Back