recipe out of leftovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmartyg

Reaction score
Hi all,
i'm cleaning out my pantry and here is what I have:

1Kilo of Muntons medium Spray Malt
0.25Kilo of Muntons Light Spray Malt
1.1Kilo of corn sugar

The fridge has:
25g Cascade pellets 6.0%AA
25G Hallertau pellets 3.7%AA

Nottingham
Safale S-04 (maybe S-05, cant remember - im not home right now)
Saflager S-23
and a few packs of coopers

So with this in mind, does anyone have any input of what I can make without spending (much)money?

Well, you've got the makings for a small pale ale. Use all of the fermentables in a 20L batch. 15 gm of Cascade @ 60, 10g @ 20 minutes and all of the Hallertau @ 5 minutes. Your OG will be around 1.040. Use Coopers to ferment it, so it won't be too dry.

hey,
so what i thought was coopers is actually from some random kits. they say "brewing yeast 514" on them. i'm guessing strain 514?

and the jars of what i thought were notty and s-04 are actually all s-23.

and i just realize this in the middle of the boil. so is this '514' stuff worth anything?

IIRC, S-23 does best in the upper 60s. I remember fermenting that yeast around 58 and it was a butter bomb. Tried it again around 68 and it was much better. I still didn't care for it though and I wont use it again.

i like lagers, so thats why i have a lot of s-23 around. my pantry is unheated and against an outside wall. In the winter, it's maybe 3-4 degrees above freezing.

Back