Tannins from Vanilla Bean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
I am currently aging a robust porter on some oak cubes and a vanilla bean and I have been tasting it and am probably going to be pulling the oak cubes out of the beer in a few days. I have been tasting it, and the oak is getting to a level that I like.

My question is, can I leave the vanilla bean in the beer without getting any tannins or other of flavors from the bean? I am planning on letting the beer age for another month or so to let the oak and other flavors blend together. The vanilla bean has been in there for almost 3 weeks and I know most people leave them in for 3-4 weeks, but should I rack the beer?

I dont have any free carboys or cornies at the moment, so I just want to take the easy route and leave it.....

I would think you'd only get tannins from extraction at higher temps, but i know nothing about vanilla beans with respect to that, so hopefully someone else can chime in. I, personally, wouldn't think twice about leaving the bean in for another month.

Latest posts

Back