Cutting Aluminum Diamond Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
I finally scored from work some aluminum diamond plate for my 3-tier to make the lower and middle tier shelving. I need to cut it though and am looking for recommendations. It's 1/8" thick. I started thinking that I could perhaps use my tile cutter or is this a bad idea? Diamond wheel, lubrication... Not much into metal work.

DiamondPlate-Silver.gif

Tools you can use:

Hack saw (be prepared to cut for a while)
Jig/sabre saw with metal cutting blade
Band saw with metal cutting blade
Plasma cutter

Or, lacking anything else:
A fairly fine toothed blade in a table saw or chop saw - run the material slowly

Abrasive blades and aluminum don't mix. The soft aluminum loads the blade up, and it can actually cause the blade to shatter. A diamond tile blade might be slightly better than just an abrasive blade, but I don't think you should use it. You'll likely ruin the blade, and it probably won't work all that well in the first place.

Ahh the band saw. If only... :)

Hacksaw is out. I got probably 8-9' worth of total cuts. I'll fire up the jig tomorrow and see how it does on some of the area I know will be scrap in the end. Thanks for saving my tile cutter by the way!

Put an abrasive cutoff wheel made for aluminum on a four and a half inch grinder and go to town

I realize that this may not be an option for Desertbrew, but can you cut that with an oxy-acetylene torch?

You can use a circular saw if you coat the blade with parrafin or bee's wax to prevent aluminum buildup on the blade. Make cuts no more than 1/8" deep at a time to reduce blade heating and warping, dont force the saw by trying to cut too fast, and by all means wear ear plugs, leather gloves, and safety glasses as this is not a quiet or clean method.

Back