secondary regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottT

Reaction score
My fridge in the garrage will hold 2 kegs plus a co2 tank. The only problem, I want to keep 2 kegs with different carbonation levels going at the same time.

The regulator off of my tank will be set to the higher pressure and split to run to the keg with higher carbonation and the other split will need to be regulated down for the one with lower carbonation.

Secondary co2 regulators cost dang near as much as a primary regulator. Is there any reason why a plain old compressed air regulator wouldn't work?

Something allong the lines of this: http://www.brandsonsale.com/rid-30225.html

first problem is: That reg. is not adjustable, i.e. it doesn't control the amount of psi coming out, it only monitors the PSI passing thru it. You want to take the psi down from around 550 psi to 10 or 12 psi.

cowain said:
first problem is: That reg. is not adjustable, i.e. it doesn't control the amount of psi coming out, it only monitors the PSI passing thru it. You want to take the psi down from around 550 psi to 10 or 12 psi.

Wha? What's that little adjustment knob for? I want to take the pressure from 25 or 30 down to about 6-8 . I know that the guage is not accurate enough for that kind of adjustment but I'll put a 0-30 guage on a T between it and the keg. That will tell me exactly how much pressure I've got on the keg.

What about something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HEAVY-DUTY-AIR-...410755223QQcategoryZ22779QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

my biggest concern would still be that I'm not sure if that gauge is just used for monitoring instead of monitoring and regulating. I'd send the seller an email to be sure.

Also, just to be sure on your plan, you're putting this guy after your primary regulator has taken the pressure down from the CO2 tank right?

If it's adjustable, it could probably work.

cowain said:

This sounds like an oxymoron. Just kidding! The second hyperlink appears to be a true regulator but the concern about the pressure would be an area of concern. Attempting to use it to step down the pressure directly out of the tank is probably pushing it past its limitations as it was desinged for compressed air which is only a fraction of the pressure. However, I don't see why it would not work as a secondary.

ScottT said:
The regulator off of my tank will be set to the higher pressure and split to run to the keg with higher carbonation and the other split will need to be regulated down for the one with lower carbonation.
[/url]

Yes, the pressure that I want to step down will only be at 30 pounds max.

Heck, these air regulators are rated to 120 pounds or better.

I'll be using another guage between it and the keg to monitor pressure. I'm just questioning if it's adjustable enough.

I got to thinking about the mini regulator. This is the samething connected on sprayguns to fine tune the pressure before it enters the gun. In which case it should do the job. I think it would be safe to say that you could adjust your pressure from 0 up to the supply pressure.

That's what I'm thinking. They're not needle valve flow controllers, they're mini regulators. I can get them for around $10 bucks or so and get a $8 0-30 guage and hook it all up to accomplish the same thing as another $40 regulator.

I'm going to give it a go.

Hate to dig up an old dead thread, but did anyone ever actually try this. It seems like a relatively cheap easy way to do mulitple pressures.

So if that's 4 ports, that would be inlet, inlet pressure, outlet, outlet pressure? Sound accurate, i think this is exactly what I'm looking for.

All I'd need is 1 gauge, a plug, and some fittings to fit my current CO2 lines?

Yah, that's right. I have two of these in the kegger, and run 30 psi from the primary regulator.

alright, almost on order (min. order of $10, and I'm trying to not buy anymore useless stuff), thanks for the help.

buy a second one. i have five of these regulators now. and at that price, i may even get more. haha.

Latest posts

Back