Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My FG on this was 1.0008. It bubbled away for 7 days. Thought it would never end lol. Very large yeast cake when it was done. I transfer to secondary to help clear it up and less risk of clouding the beer with yeast when I go to rack it to keg.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Home Brew mobile app

do you cold crash? cold crashing will drop the yeast out to clear your beer

I love this beer it comes out clear glass for me very time

all the best

S_M

Just picked up on this thread and have decided to give the recipe a try. It is remarkably similar to the cream ale recipe that has been a crowd pleaser around here for a long time. The addition of the rice is a new wrinkle. Also, I've been using Cascade for bittering and Willamette for aroma. Definitely want to try this one. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I'm going straight from primary to keg and adding gelatin to keg. After a couple days in fridge I will pull a couple cloudy pints and it should clear up

My son and I are gonna brew this up to take on vacation this year! I need his help lifting, just had rotator cuff surgery!
Anyhow, whats a good starter to use for this?

Thanks, B

My son and I are gonna brew this up to take on vacation this year! I need his help lifting, just had rotator cuff surgery!
Anyhow, whats a good starter to use for this?

Thanks, B

If it's anything like the cream ale I've been making you can use US-05, BRY-97 or WLP-001 American Ale yeast. All will work and you probably won't see a huge difference in flavor. I've made my cream ale (sans rice) with all of the above and the beers have all been excellent.

do you cold crash? cold crashing will drop the yeast out to clear your beer

I love this beer it comes out clear glass for me very time

all the best

S_M

I usually let it sit in secondary for a couple of weeks and then keg and force carb it while it sits in my kegerator.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I usually let it sit in secondary for a couple of weeks and then keg and force carb it while it sits in my kegerator.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have brewed 20 gallons of this recipe in the last month I go from grain to glass in 14 days or less

this is going to become a brew I do all the time to have on hand because it drinks so well

the last brew I did I used corn meal and minute rice and it came out perfect, such a light grain bill it is cheap to brew using top cropped US-05 for yeast

all the best

S_M

I have this on tap now. Its equal parts of corn maze and grits. It pretty smooth and won't last long in the keg. I never thought of using corn meal, I may have to give that a try. I recommend this brew for the first timer to the more advanced brewer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Home Brew mobile app

the first time I brewed this I did use flaked corn and flaked rice had it on gas in the glass in 14 days

I drank it for a day and knew I wanted to brew it again right away, I saw where people were using girts

up here in New York not a lot girts in the stores so I went with corn meal, I tried some and it taste the same

this is going to be something I have on tap always

all the best

S_M

As cheap as flaked corn is per lb, why is everyone deviating away from its use? Just curious.

As cheap as flaked corn is per lb, why is everyone deviating away from its use? Just curious.

because I drive by a grocery store everyday and the home brew store is about 55 miles away one way :)

I cannot tell the difference, but in the end you need to do what works for you that gives you the brew you are looking for

me everything I brew is are done in 10 to 12 days then cold crashed for 2 days and into the keg

I do this because it works for me

all the best

S_M

This is the half corn maze and half grits version. Corn maze = yellow corn. Grits = white corn.

20140327_171904.jpg

Looking for a cream ale recipe and really don't have time to go through the whole thread...are most of you using the original recipe from the 1st post? Thanks for any replies. ..

Looking for a cream ale recipe and really don't have time to go through the whole thread...are most of you using the original recipe from the 1st post? Thanks for any replies. ..

really close I am just using yellow corn meal for flaked corn and different hops Willamette/Liberty

US-05 for yeast

all the best

S_M

I followed it except for one modification... I did not buy minute rice. Instead I used sweet rice that I get at a Thai grocery store. (Aka sticky rice) I have several lb on hand. Any rice will due.

I measured it out dry and boiled the crap out of it until it was a goopey mess... Worked great and it was cheap

Could somebody do a favor for one who doesn't have a scale and tell me about how many cups 1lb of Minute Rice is...

Thanks!

I am out of 2-row/pale malt. Anyone think using Vienna malt for the base would be a good substitution?

I do but I like Vienna a lot gives you a nice toasty taste

I just looked back at my notes the first time I brewed this I use 50/50 pale malt and Vienna malt

and it is the one I liked the best

next time I brew this I am going to use all Vienna

S_M

So I scaled this for 2.5 Gallon batch. Does this look right?

2.1 lbs two row - 0.94 kg - 940 g
.71 lbs corn - 0.32 kg - 320 g
2.72 oz rice - 0.078 kg - 78 g 0.17 lb
5 g Williamette [5.20%] (60 min) 5 g
5 g Crystal [3.50%] (60 min) 5 g

I would say more like 2.5 to 3.0 lbs of 2 row. This of course depends on you efficiency and og. I would also use closer to 1 lbs of corn maze , if that is what your referring when you list corn.

I would say more like 2.5 to 3.0 lbs of 2 row. This of course depends on you efficiency and og. I would also use closer to 1 lbs of corn maze , if that is what your referring when you list corn.

Yep Corn Maze! Thanks for the pointers. I scaled it according to the guidelines below. Maybe my calculations were off.

Most homebrew recipes are formulated for 5 gallons (19 L) of beer. To scale a recipe down linearly, just multiply the amount of each ingredient by your batch size, then divide by the batch size specified in the original recipe. For example, if a 5-gallon (19-L) recipe called for 9.0 oz. (0.26 g) of crystal malt. A 3-gallon (11-L) recipe for the same beer would require [9 x 3 / 5 =] 5.4 oz. (0.15 kg) of crystal malt. Of course, at a smaller scale, you may be boiling more vigorously, boiling your full wort, cooling quicker and doing other things that will affect how the recipe turns out. Take good notes and use these as a guide to making recipe adjustments.

I'm sure my efficiency will be on the lower side since I'm new at this and will be stovetop mashing. So I'm assuming a beefier grain bill will help offset the poor efficiency?

I stand corrected maybe not help with efficiency but will get you closer to your desired og. Grain crush helps with efficiency, among other variables.

Has anyone "lagered" this beer after it has been brewed and carbonated? I am thinking of making a double batch kegging both but then placing one of the kegs in cold storage for 2-3 months to be ready for the hot days of summer. I am curious to know if anyone else has tried this and what results they may have had.

It lagers by default in my kegs and keeps getting better and clearer! I use Krolsch ( sp?) and Saaz in mine and it was still outstanding when I killed the keg after 3 months. I think it will lager very well but haven't stored it for the amount of time you are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This beer clarifies and the flavor stabilizes so quick... its a cream ale afterall. But what if you brewed it with S23?? I really like that lager yeast. Ferm at 48 for 2 weeks. Lager for 4? Mmmmmm!!!

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Finally tapped my first keg of this tonight, it's not my favorite style of beer but it's pretty damn good anyway. My first all grain is officially a success.

This beer clarifies and the flavor stabilizes so quick... its a cream ale afterall. But what if you brewed it with S23?? I really like that lager yeast. Ferm at 48 for 2 weeks. Lager for 4? Mmmmmm!!!

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Correction: I had good success with 34/70 as a nuetral lager yeast. S23 left behind some flavors

"Sometimes Im right half of the time..."

Since I brew this more for the "public" than my own consumption, I always rack to a secondary after 2 weeks with gelatin. Let it sit for 48 hours and you should be able to read a newspaper through the carboy.

Then I rack to a keg and chill for 10 days. Just a couple pints in...and she'll start flowing very clearly.

Hey BM,
I'm going to bottle this brew; would it be advisable to add a little gelatin to secondary before bottling bucket? I'm after uber clear right out of bottles...
Thank you, B

I do but I like Vienna a lot gives you a nice toasty taste

I just looked back at my notes the first time I brewed this I use 50/50 pale malt and Vienna malt

and it is the one I liked the best

next time I brew this I am going to use all Vienna

S_M

My keg of this fine beer just kicked so I am going to try the vienna version. When you used vienna malt as the base what did you use for the corn addition? Flaked corn, grits, corn flaked cereal?

My keg of this fine beer just kicked so I am going to try the vienna version. When you used vienna malt as the base what did you use for the corn addition? Flaked corn, grits, corn flaked cereal?

I used flaked corn and minute rice but I am going to brew it again with all Vienna and use corn meal / minute rice

all the best

S_M

I used flaked corn and minute rice but I am going to brew it again with all Vienna and use corn meal / minute rice

all the best

S_M

For the corn meal and minute rice will you need to make a cereal mash prior to adding it to the crushed grain in the mastun? Will the weight amounts be about the same for corn meal as flaked corn?

Back