Hows my first recipe sound?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verotik

Reaction score
9# Pale Malt
2# Crystal 60L
1oz Kent Golding Hops
3oz Citra Hops
Wyeast American Ale II

Going for an IPA, what kind of hops schedule would you recommend? Anybody? Plan on brewing it this afternoon.

I think it's too much crystal. I'd use no more than one pound, in my opinion.

You know, EKG hops are weird in with the citra. EKG hops make a fine English beer, but I don't know about mixed with citra.

Citra is new to me- I'm drinking my first beer with citra hops right now. (Literally, right now as a matter of fact!). They are, well, odd. It's improving, but the first sip when I kegged it was MANGO. I don't mean a little fruity, I mean it tasted like I put mangoes in the beer. I used 2 ounces, in late additions, though, since I wanted to be able to see what citra actually brought to the beer.

Ok, anyway, I'd use the bittering addition at 60 minutes, and then do flavor and aroma hop additions at 15 minutes, 5 minutes and flame out.

I'd have to know what the AAUs are of the hops, but I'd shoot for about 50 IBUs in an 1.050ish beer. I like my IPAs a bit bigger, though, so I usually make them at 1.065-1.070ish and hop with about 65 IBUs or so.

I was wondering if it would be too sweet with 2lbs of 60L. With that 2# and 9# of Pale LME, Brewpal is showing 1.071 and with all 4oz of hops (60, 45, 15, 5) it is showing 43IBU. I like my IPA's pretty aromatic and not overly bitter, so maybe i should do 60, 15, 5, flameout? Ditch the KG and just go with Citra?

I was mistaken...it was Simcoe hops instead of KG. Used 9# of Pale DME, 1# Crystal 60, 1oz Simcoe @ 60, 1oz Citra @ 15, 5, 0. We'll see how it turns out. Came in at 56IBU & 1.062.

Back