Blow off tube help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MathiasMicrobrew

Reaction score
I brewed up a 5 gal batch of AG Oatmeal Stout and my primary 8gal bucket was tied up and used my 6.5gal glass carboy. My 3 piece airlock was on my bucket fementer and I just used my S style airlock.

I came home from work to find my airlock and bung on the floor and had a nice mess. I made an improv blow off tube in some star san and it worked great.

My question is now that the main fermentation is over, should I put my S style airlock back on or wld the tube be ok for the duration? I was gonna let it sit for 3 weeks then bottle. Never had to use a blow off tube and I didn't know if it was just for the start of fermentation.

Thanks in advance!

I brewed up a 5 gal batch of AG Oatmeal Stout and my primary 8gal bucket was tied up and used my 6.5gal glass carboy. My 3 piece airlock was on my bucket fementer and I just used my S style airlock.

I came home from work to find my airlock and bung on the floor and had a nice mess. I made an improv blow off tube in some star san and it worked great.

My question is now that the main fermentation is over, should I put my S style airlock back on or wld the tube be ok for the duration? I was gonna let it sit for 3 weeks then bottle. Never had to use a blow off tube and I didn't know if it was just for the start of fermentation.

Thanks in advance!

I had a similar question / problem... I used a small tube in where my 3 piece airlock fit... It's a nice tight fit but I don't know if I should swap the tube back to the airlock once things have died down a bit.... I am brewing wheat beer and it's quite a vigorous fermentation

Sorry to latch on to your thread but we have the same question

I had a similar question / problem... I used a small tube in where my 3 piece airlock fit... It's a nice tight fit but I don't know if I should swap the tube back to the airlock once things have died down a bit.... I am brewing wheat beer and it's quite a vigorous fermentation

I had that problem as well and I used the tube just like you explained. I also switched over to a airlock when initial fermentation stopped. Worked fine for me, but of course sanitize sanitize sanitize!

No worries! We r in the same boat lol I'm just gonna leave my tube on until I'm rdy to bottle this coming weekend. I know its probably holding back more co2 than the 3 piece wld but I don't see that affecting the sweet deliciousness inside.

No worries! We r in the same boat lol I'm just gonna leave my tube on until I'm rdy to bottle this coming weekend. I know its probably holding back more co2 than the 3 piece wld but I don't see that affecting the sweet deliciousness inside.

My fermentation has died down to a bubble every second or just a bit more frequent. The krausen has stopped coming through the blow off tube... I will probably leave it this way until I move to a secondary in just another two days

You can leave the blow off tube for the duration if you want, or you can put an air lock back on when it settles down. Either method will work just fine.

Back