Brewing legal limit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron1guz

Reaction score
I heard that the legal limit for brewing is 200 gallons per year. Even though only my wife and I are over the legal age, I think I will pass the 400 gallon household level this year. Already at 130 gallons!!! Too bad some of that is long term aging...

ron1guz said:
I heard that the legal limit for brewing is 200 gallons per year. Even though only my wife and I are over the legal age, I think I will pass the 400 gallon household level this year. Already at 130 gallons!!! Too bad some of that is long term aging...

What's your address? The TABC would like to know.

I think it's 100 gallons a year in California...

I don't think it matters though. I mean, how would they know how much beer I am brewing?

I probably only do about 20-30 gallons or so a year anyway.

The limit is 200gal/year for 2 or more adults in the house.
I am at about 50 gallons now so I will be ok for the most part.

IIRC, it's 100 gallons per person, capped at 200 per household. If you're worried about crossing the 400 mark, you're going to be WAY over the actual 200 gallon limit. Might not want to attract too much attention from the authorities this year ;)

One advantage though is that as long as you actually drink your beer at a reasonable rate and don't go stockpiling hundreds of gallons of it, I don't think there's much to raise suspicion, or much proof in the event suspicion was raised.

I'm no lawyer, but I got the impression that the law is in place to prevent people from starting microbreweries without getting licensed and paying the fees and all that. Provided you are drinking your beer and not selling it, I don't think you've got too much to worry about.

It's a 100 gallons per year, 200 per household if you are married. BierMuncher brews that much in a quarter, but he never has more than 200 gallons on site at a time. :D

Brew Dude said:
I think it's 100 gallons a year in California...

I don't think it matters though. I mean, how would they know how much beer I am brewing?

I probably only do about 20-30 gallons or so a year anyway.

They might find out through something called posting/blogging on the internet, Ha just kidding.

Way to go, keep on brewing, and rules were made to be broken:rockin:

It's just so if you do something stupid like sell it or commit other crimes, and then they can really run up your criminal tab.

ron1guz said:

Depends where you live actually. If you are in Oklahoma, Utah, or Alabama the leagal limit is "None" cause legally, you can't homebrew there.

As for me, I use a lot of malt syrup for cooking, drink lots of homemade Malta, and dispense soda on my homemade soda fountain.:drunk: ;)

i dont think you have to worry about the feds knocking at your door for something like this

Well if you go over the limit (which is kind of lame because most home brewers share) you'd be well advised to not speak of it, and be a good neighbor. So many nosy neighbors are the cause of trouble.

Hey, I don't make beer. There does seem to be some sort of fungus around my house that does some wonderful things to this barley tea I make from time to time, though. Hell if I know what's really going on, though. It seems divine, though :)

TL

In Georgia the limit is 50 gallons/person or 100 gallons per household. I am probably on course to hit that exactly.

I don't brew beer either (it's against my religion), I make batches of malt for baking. However, I think the containers I use are bad because they keep getting this foam on top and it burps out this gas. I think it keeps getting infected. I even boil hops into the malt because of it's anti bacterial properties, but it never seems to work. :(

Countdown to a "Is my malt infected?" thread in 5...4...3...

GilaMinumBeer said:
Depends where you live actually. If you are in Oklahoma, Utah, or Alabama the leagal limit is "None" cause legally, you can't homebrew there.

I thought that beering beer and making wine were granted to us by the constitution.

thats like making a law saying smoking is illegal in ohio.

autoferret said:
I thought that beering beer and making wine were granted to us by the constitution.

Unfortunately, brewing beer is not a constitutional right...

autoferret said:
thats like making a law saying smoking is illegal in ohio.

This is already happening....in public buildings at least.

EvilTOJ said:
I don't brew beer either (it's against my religion), I make batches of malt for baking. However, I think the containers I use are bad because they keep getting this foam on top and it burps out this gas. I think it keeps getting infected. I even boil hops into the malt because of it's anti bacterial properties, but it never seems to work. :(

Countdown to a "Is my malt infected?" thread in 5...4...3...
Jolly good that amused me.

Boerderij Kabouter said:
Fed guy:

But if I don't homebrew, how will I attract more prostitutes to my pimp ring?

BWWAAAHHAHHHAAHHA!!!!

Fed guy:

But I only brew to keep the bouncers for my crackhouse in beer!!!

There are currently 5 (edit 6) states where homebrewing is illegal or where it is not specified by statute as legal.

UT
KY
MS
OK
WV
Edit: AL

UT came close to passsing a bill this spring, the house passed it, but it died in senate committee and it did not get the opportunity for it to be voted on. In other words, whomever is on the UT State Senate committee killed the bill despite popular support.

EDIT: as Beerific points out below AL.

olllllo said:
There are currently 5 states where homebrewing is illegal or where it is not specified by statute as legal.

UT
KY
MS
OK
WV

UT came close to passsing a bill this spring, the house passed it, but it died in senate committee and it did not get the opportunity for it to be voted on. In other words, whomever is on the UT State Senate committee killed the bill despite popular support.

Is Alabama not on that list?
http://beertown.org/statutes/alabama.htm

"and be a good neighbor. So many nosy neighbors are the cause of trouble."

My neighbors are the ones that drink it all!!!

I lurk here, but pardon while I weigh in since I live in one of the worst states in question.

Yes, homebrewing is illegal in this state. So is the sale of any beer over 6% ABV or in a container over 16oz (the only state in the union with this ridiculous restriction,) although you can buy kegs.

We have three bills in the state legislature this year in an attempt to legalize homebrewing and also to raise the ABV of beer to 13.9% putting it on a par with most table wines at least.

They are all going to DIE today because the State Senate of Alabama has been arguing for the past month about bingo and gambling in one county; not just the alcohol related bills, nothing has gotten done because of this deadlock.

Am I upset with my "government" (I use the term loosely) ? You might say so.

Returning to lurk mode now.

RoseHawke said:
I lurk here, but pardon while I weigh in since I live in one of the worst states in question.

Yes, homebrewing is illegal in this state. So is the sale of any beer over 6% ABV or in a container over 16oz (the only state in the union with this ridiculous restriction,) although you can buy kegs.

We have three bills in the state legislature this year in an attempt to legalize homebrewing and also to raise the ABV of beer to 13.9% putting it on a par with most table wines at least.

They are all going to DIE today because the State Senate of Alabama has been arguing for the past month about bingo and gambling in one county; not just the alcohol related bills, nothing has gotten done because of this deadlock.

Damn why didn' t we let the state out of the union when they wanted!

Just kidding, I really have nothing against Alabama.

I have no idea what the limit is in Mass. but since I don't live here year round, so I'm sure I'm well under it. I'm not even all that concerned about getting in trouble with my school. I mean, with the amount of drug using and drug dealing going on in my hall, a little beer is hardly a problem.

Also, I don't think my school is too concerned with enforcing rules. In Amherst, kegs have to be registered with the police, and there can only be one on campus at any given time. Yet, one of my microbiology professors has at least three kegs in the basement of the science building.

RoseHawke said:

Ahhh crap. We in MS were hoping to piggyback that bills passage to put similar structures in place here. Instead, we're left with planning trips to LA/TN when we want certain good beers. It's still illegal here as well, technically.

*sigh*

ClutchDude said:
Ahhh crap. We in MS were hoping to piggyback that bills passage to put similar structures in place here. Instead, we're left with planning trips to LA/TN when we want certain good beers. It's still illegal here as well, technically.

*sigh*
Maybe all is not lost. Maybe. I thought the session was fixing to end (I normally don't keep up much with Alabama politics as it's pretty useless,) but apparently there are three more days including today. And they ended the filibuster!

So, there's a slim chance if it makes it to the floor.

It looks like the homebrew bill may be dead though :(.

RoseHawke said:

We're in the same boat on different rivers, my river's name, Mississippi. Seeing as how wines are legal to homebrew in MS, I only brew wines. ;) The movement for raising the abv limit in AL and West Virginia are much further along than it is in MS. Alabama's Free the Hops campaign is on the cusp of raising the abv, the bill passed their house and I believe is in debate in the Senate.

In MS our campaign has a much less sexy name, MEBA (Mississippians for Econimic and Beverage Advancement). We had a bill introduced this year, but it died in committee. AL and WV are 3-4 years ahead of MS in regard to getting the antequated ABV laws removed/revised. I'm just hoping MS's law gets changed within 5 years. Ahhh my state is last again! Don't get me wrong I choose to live here, have lived elsewhere and traveled a bit, but this is home. There's just a whole lot of people here incapable of lateral thinking.

I toast you who live in states with politicians whom aren't afraid of BIER!
Schlante,
Phillip

AHH.

I love New Zealand. We have a legal drinking age of 18. We are allowed to brew what we want in whatever quantities we want at whatever ABV we want. We can also distill spirits. It is good not to be held back by religious nutjobs.

Ps. I have nothing against religion, just the majority of people who practice it.

Back