Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the start of a dinking around project. It's some kind of crabapple wood. It's pretty dense.

IMG_20160114_200155406.jpg

Lane's 1Q is one that I've heard all over the place, so it must be good lol I'll have to try both. I'm pretty sure the local tobacco shop will have Lane 1Q, because I know I've had a Lane from them before. Hopefully they have Ole Shenandoah's 76 as well.

I'm excited to get back into smoking a pipe. It was a really good way to relax, and helped me clear my mind for my more creative pursuits.

Lane 1Q is the number one selling bulk tobacco in the US, so I'm guessing it will end readily available, although your local store may have a different name for it.

Lane 1Q is the number one selling bulk tobacco in the US, so I'm guessing it will end readily available, although your local store may have a different name for it.

It figured it was pretty popular, considering I see the name all over the place. I can't remember what I tried before from Lane but it was really nice. I'm trying to remember what the one tin I bought was (not the lane), it was some kind of black Cavendish that was amazing. This was about a year ago though and this has been a hell of a year lol so I can't quite remember.

I could probably get 2 depending on how I cut it, but I'm aiming for one. I don't expect it to last long. even though it's dense, it's only crab apple. I do have more of that stuff laying around.

Gotcha. I don't know much at all about pipe making, at least as far as the properties of different woods. I've been thinking lately that it would be an interesting hobby to get into once I finally settle down in one place and it's practical to get everything necessary. At the moment I move way too much and my life is way too unstable to commit to anything that requires buying any equipment or tools lol I can barely manage brewing.

So.... Um, Ace.... Just being a pal here, those look like complete garbage and I think you should send them to me for proper disposal.

But seriously, take my monies and make me a pipe please!!!! Those are awesome! The grain and birds eyes on that billiard really came out especially nice. If I can pull myself away from buying cigar tobacco and making cigars I need to get into making pipes too. My cigar rolling has gotten a little out of hand lately though

Those are really nice looking! I've been thinking of getting a churchwarden, I love the look of those. I also heard they're very cool smokes because of the longer stem.

They can be. They can also be prone to gurgle and cause the user to feel as if they are smoking through a water whistle/bong.

Out of curiosity, I've read a lot about aging tobacco. Who here ages their tobacco and what is the oldest tobacco that you've smoked?

I have inadvertenly. 3 years from date of purchase.

Do keep in mind that most/many tobaccos are aged a year or two before even seeing a package.

A coworker gave me a tin of tobacco he found in an old shed of his fathers. His dad has been dead for over 20 years and didn't smoke for 15 years before then. So, I'm guessing 35-40 years.

It was/ is in a non descript blue tin.

A coworker gave me a tin of tobacco he found in an old shed of his fathers. His dad has been dead for over 20 years and didn't smoke for 15 years before then. So, I'm guessing 35-40 years.

It was/ is in a non descript blue tin.

Is it still sealed? Lol I was reading that some people had aged their tobacco around 30 years for some tins. I'm sure that that tin was in less controlled conditions though lol I agree that if you smoke it you should post a video xD

Is it still sealed? Lol I was reading that some people had aged their tobacco around 30 years for some tins. I'm sure that that tin was in less controlled conditions though lol I agree that if you smoke it you should post a video xD

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

It was not unbroken., but hadn't been opened in at least 30 years. Probably a drugstore brand. It smoked nice though. Just a hint metallic.

FYI, International Pipe Smoking Day is coming up (2/20/15), and I've heard that smoking pipes.com offers 10-20% off everything on that day.

Just in case any of you were planning on buying anything in the near future.

FYI, International Pipe Smoking Day is coming up (2/20/15), and I've heard that smoking pipes.com offers 10-20% off everything on that day.

Just gonna put this out there, the 24th is my birthday... So you know, just in case xP

Too late for me. Recently ordered 7oz of Iwan Ries Three Star Bronze. Loved that blend.

I iz hoardr too.

I finally got my pipe in! Currently smoking a cherry blend from the tobacco shop, which is nice. Very smooth and has a wonderful sweet room note. I also picked up some Lane 1Q.

The pipe definitely needs breaking in but it's a nice cheap pipe until I can afford a new one.

View attachment 1453502261978.jpg

my order from Pipes & Cigars came in today. Tsuge's First Days of Spring, Tsuge's Gunjin, Molto Dolce, and a 14oz can of Chatham Manor. the Molto Dolce and First Days went right into the basement beer room.

my order from Pipes & Cigars came in today. Tsuge's First Days of Spring, Tsuge's Gunjin, Molto Dolce, and a 14oz can of Chatham Manor. the Molto Dolce and First Days went right into the basement beer room.

I could just about eat molto dolce with a spoon. I'm not usually big on aromatics but that's one I always have on hand.

I personally prefer that one fresh as opposed to age. It seems to lose a little something over time in my opinion but my experience there was after the tin was opened and stored in a sealed jar

so I just had a bowl of the Molto Dolce (couldn't help myself) in my fancy pants Churchwarden. it was floccing awesome! it was like I soaked a Creme Brulee in Creme Brulee Stout and smoked it! Lane's 1Q got bumped down a notch. I can see why you could about eat it with a spoon!

so I just had a bowl of the Molto Dolce (couldn't help myself) in my fancy pants Churchwarden. it was floccing awesome! it was like I soaked a Creme Brulee in Creme Brulee Stout and smoked it! Lane's 1Q got bumped down a notch. I can see why you could about eat it with a spoon!

Yeah buddy!!

Back