Harvest now or take chances wiyh hurricane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetuchenBrewerNJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
In preparation for the big hurricane expected to come on Sunday (I'm in eastern NJ, predicted to be in or not far from the eye), I'm wounding what should do with my hops. I believe they are closet ready, although this is my first year growing so I'm not positive. Should I harvest now and hope they're ready (or hope they're close enough) or should I take my chance and hope they survive the 100+ mph winds?

Any advice is appreciated!
Chris

+1 on harvesting before. I will be doing the same tonight as soon as I get home from work due to having my hops on fairly weak lines and I know they will be broken by Sat evening.

beerloaf

I will also be harvesting mine in NJ. What ever i pick i will put all in one bucket and call it Hurricane Irene Hoppy Ale.

2nd harvest from my 3 cascades and got 16 oz this time. Got 5 oz of centennial and 1 oz of williamete

Im on long island and i just picked some of mine earlier today and left the ones that are immature hoping it will hold through but if not at least i got something from my first year.

Back