Sweet Stout 2.5G AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetallHed

Reaction score
What do you all think of this? I browsed a few recipes and started messing around with StrangeBrew/BeerSmith. I didn't compare this with any recipes that are posted, so it could be pretty close, if not the same, to many recipes.

I'm going to be using DeathBrewer's stove method again. I am going to shoot for a mash temp of 153 degrees for an hour and sparge in 170 for 15 minutes.

I will also be using Safale US-04 dry yeast. I used US-05 on an American Wheat and was very pleased with it (and the price :D).

Sweet Stout
Type: All grain
Size: 2.5 gallons
Color: 100 HCU (~35 SRM)
Bitterness: 18 IBU
OG: 1.057
FG: 1.017
Alcohol: 5.1% v/v (4.0% w/w)
Grain:
3 lb. 8 oz. American 2-row
12 oz. Wheat malt
8 oz. American crystal 60L
4 oz. American chocolate
4 oz. Roasted barley
Mash: 75% efficiency
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.046 3.1 gallons
Hops: .5 oz. Willamette (5% AA, 60 min.)

Also I want to calculate my efficiency. To do this, I would take a gravity reading of the wort before boiling and after combining the mash and sparge wort, correct? I would need to chill this down to 60 for an accurate reading, also, right?

Thanks for any suggestions and help!

:mug:

That recipe looks good, but you should sweeten it up a bit. Lactose maybe? Maybe up the caramel or the mashing temp (for more unfermentables).

Yes to do the efficiency you need volume of strike and sparge water, volume and gravity pre-boil, volume and gravity post boil. And yes unless you measure it around 60, you'll need to apply the tempereature correction factors.

Whoops! I do have lactose in the recipe. I drank a left hand milk stout this morning and holy crap! That is good.

Thank you for the tips, I will be brewing this next week.

Back