sugar addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar37

Reaction score
I read today that if you need to add corn sugar(Dextrose) to do it later in the fermentation process so it's easier on the yeast, I wish to know if this is the case, how far along to do it and by what method to introduce it into the brew?

why do you need to add corn sugar? bottling?

but no, you can generally add sugar at any point in the fermentation. the only thing about adding it immediately (like just after you chill the wort and pitch yeast) is that when you raise the gravity substantially, you need to accordingly pitch a greater amount of yeast.

For higher alchol beers like belgians and do I dissolve it before adding it to my brew?

The thought for adding at the end of fermentation is to make the yeast eat the maltose first (harder) then move to glucose (easier)...don't eat dessert first and spoil dinner sort of thing.

The truth is, many add sugar at the end of the boil (myself included) and have no problem with fermentation/attenuation. I find the boil to be much easier.

If you add during fermentation, it would be a good idea to dissolve it first in some water. Helps it mix quicker...some guys have had a layer of undissolved sugar on the bottom of their carboys before. Oh, and you can use table sugar too, it's cheaper than corn sugar and does the same thing.

The thought for adding at the end of fermentation is to make the yeast eat the maltose first (harder) then move to glucose (easier)...don't eat dessert first and spoil dinner sort of thing.

The truth is, many add sugar at the end of the boil (myself included) and have no problem with fermentation/attenuation. I find the boil to be much easier.

If you add during fermentation, it would be a good idea to dissolve it first in some water. Helps it mix quicker...some guys have had a layer of undissolved sugar on the bottom of their carboys before. Oh, and you can use table sugar too, it's cheaper than corn sugar and does the same thing.

I'm with Ty, I just add it late in the boil, regardless of the type of sugar, it's just easier and I too have no issues with attenuation.

Thanks guys. This is super helpful. I'm working on a Belgian strong right now with a bit of honey and corn sugar. Happy brewin'!

Back