Well, It's Been Quite a Summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Quite a Summer, indeed. We kicked it off with the kid having a seizure, enjoyed a little vacation, wrapped up an old gig and started a new one, had our home broken into (with laptop stolen) on the day a harmless storm came through, dodged a couple much more harmful storms, and then took Grandaddy Ike right up the gut. Yeah, I haven't been around much over the last few months, and those are some of the reasons why. ;)

I really do not know what has been going around the national news, but Ike was a real doozy. No, it is not the worst that has ever come through, but it was a doozy. The Houston area is hurting, but recovering. Really, I am amazed at how quickly things are coming back around after less than a week. People around here are very resilient. We tend to start fixing things, rather than waiting around for someone to come fix them and complaining when no one shows. Do not get me wrong, though, we have received a LOT of help and we are grateful for EVERY BIT of it! We also understand that, right now, we are benefitting greatly from lessons HARD LEARNED a few years ago when Katrina and Rita made a much larger mess.

Still, more than half of the Houston area has no power. Very many folks around here are without clean water, and many more only got it back within the last couple days. However, a lot businesses are back up and running in some capacity, if not full capacity, and that brings a lot of hope to those who have more than a few shingles missing.

Of course, Galveston is in very bad shape, and I know the media has covered a lot of that. What people forget about Galveston is that it is not very large. The resident population only is around 60,000, and the land area is fairly small. There is not a lot of room for infrastructure, so when something comes through like this, it really messes them up. Of course, they also are an island, and that makes for some special issues, on its own.

As bad as things are or have been around here and Galveston, we really were spared the worst of the storm. To the east of Galveston and Houston lie the Bolivar Peninsula and lower Chambers County. They took it worse than anyone else. We just had to deal with category 1 and 2 winds, but they had to deal with categoy 4 storm surge, and photos looks like some tornados went through there, too. I don't know know how familiar y'all are with those areas, but I grew up nearby and spent a lot of time in them (especially Bolivar). These aren't communities with a lot of money and infrastructure. These aren't people who can just pick up at a moment's notice and leave town for a week. Many folks around there get by on very little, and now, they have nothing. They are the story that we have not seen on CNN. They are the photos we have not seen on the websites. And, I fear they are the bodies that have not yet been counted.

When you see that photo of a Galveston block that is well trashed or you hear about how a million or so people in Houston still have no power, think about those stories that are yet to be told. This one was a doozy.

TL

How's the little one? That's really tough.

My friend's son has the same issues and they had a real hard time getting the meds right. The docs don't know if it will go away or not, sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. The good news is that once the meds are dialed in things are pretty normal.

Anyway - glad to see ya back, we had been wondering where ya were.

THERE you are! We were wondering where you were at! Glad to see that you're safe now, even though there's still a lot more to be done.

Thanks, guys. The kid is fine, with no issues since the first seizure (about four months ago). We hear that is a very good sign. Everything else will come back around in time and with some work.

Now, if I can just brew that 9-9-9 Barleywine, I'll start to feel like I'm getting somewhere.

TL

VERY glad things are going okay with you and yours.

I've seen some pics of the Bolivar area...NYTimes did a good slideshow of that area specifically and those were some impressive images. My heart goes out to those who had so much difficulty getting out.

Glad to see you back.
Seems like you had your share of kicks in the gonads. It is times like those, that I remember that as long as I have my family, health, and freedom, I can face anything else life throws my way. Every day I wake up this side of the sod, I give thanks to the powers that be, that I can continue on my quest to make my life and the lives of those around me , as enjoyable as I can.

All this goes out the window when I wake up with a hangover and curse everything. Just kidding.

Welcome back. Cheers.

Great to see you back! I'm glad to hear that things are going better with your family. I hope the new job is everything you'd imagined. Sounds like a bumpy ride this summer.

Chad

Nice to see you back Tex. At first I figured this hurricane wasn't that bad, but as the news gets out it's amazing how bad the storm actually was. I wonder why this isn't getting the attention Katrina did (must be small towns vs. large towns).

Thanks, guys. I have to tell you, it's been a good Summer. Reading my post, it seems like I was whining a bit, and I did not mean to. I was talking with my wife the other day, and we both said it's been a good Summer. The bad stuff gets fixed, and the good stuff sticks.

There are a couple reasons Ike is not getting the attention Katrina did. There are some cynical reasons, some rumors, and some truths that may be unflattering to spots like New Orleans. However, the main reason Ike is not getting Katrina-style attention is that Katrina was a whole hell of a lot worse than Ike. The storm, itself, was at least as bad as Katrina, but we are benefitting from many lessons that were hard-learned from Katrina and Rita. The relief and recovery effort began before the storm even hit. Many relief supplies and personnel, as well as recovery supplies and personnel, were ready to go well before landfall. Evacuations were phased and orderly, to the extent the constantly-changing storm track allowed. Within hours after the storm passed, the recovery was at full speed.

FEMA took a lot of crap for Katrina and Rita, and rightly so. However, they and the local goverments learned a lot and have improved a hundred times over. It will still take a good while for everything to get cleaned up and in a state we can call "good," but I'm standing up and applauding the effort done so far.

TL

Latest posts

Back