Yeast washing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Ok I know I will get ridiculed for asking this because I am certain the answer is so simple as to make me look stupid for asking BUT..... How do I get MORE yeast per container when washing yeast? I am using vials ( think white labs vials ) and I have some washed yeast in a few already but I am getting a very small amount of yeast settling once it clears up, I need to figure out how to concentrate the yeast more in the liquid......or is that even a big issue since I am making starters?

Put all the washed yeast in a mason jar. Once settled pour off the liquid, and then pour the remaining yeast slurry into your vials.

Put all the washed yeast in a mason jar. Once settled pour off the liquid, and then pour the remaining yeast slurry into your vials.
yep I was right so easy it is pathetic.. now I feel like a dork. THANKS! lol

Every time you wash it you're losing some yeast, it just happens. To some extent it doesn't matter when you're making starters, you just have to do more steps or bigger starters.

Back