New guy in Halifax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Reaction score
Hey, I'm just starting up. So far I've got one non-catastrophe APA in the bottle and a Duvel impersonator sitting in the primary. I'm brewing with two roommates, and (if our basement apartment stays cool enough over the summer) hope to be producing a bunch of good beer by the fall. Also: cider.

Fall?? You will have drinkable brew in six weeks if you've started now. Make sure you brew enough for three!

Welcome to the boards.

Fingers said:
Fall?? You will have drinkable brew in six weeks if you've started now. Make sure you brew enough for three!

Well, my first will be nominally ready in two and a half weeks, but it's merely tolerable. Tastes like banana esters and not enough else.

I figure I ought to let the Duvel condition for a month or two, although I don't know how well I'll restrain myself.

So, assuming I start a quick beer right after the Duvel gets into secondary, it'll be sevenish weeks.

Welcome fellow Canuck.

And the first rule you need to learn in homebrewing is patience! Those banana beers will start to taste really good, but not for a month or two. Believe me when I tell you that you will regret drinking most of them now, only to find out later that your homebrew rocked!

The solution to your dilemna is to brew lots and put lots away. Best of luck!

Welcome aboard.

The first few batches that I made, I drank too quickly. They weren't all that good until a few months after bottling. So, I only got a few of them at their peak.

Alright. If I understand how this works correctly, this post will change my subtitle to "Senior Member". I'm all-grain now, and silly curiosity has my roommates and me always running out of session beers while we're always making more and more fancy-pants big beers. Nonetheless, we've made some damn good beer, mead, and cider and we've got some exciting beer conditioning as we speak. We're planning on making the jump to kegs in the new year.

So thanks, HBT! Were it not for you guys, I'd probably still be precisely where I was when I started.

I guess it's time to become a supporter. My empty student wallet is crying in despair.

Latest posts

Back