URGENT - Is DME sanitized

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpr121

Reaction score
I made the mistake of forgetting to add 3 lbs of DME TO MY IPA recipe. Bigger mistake was that I just dumped it into the wort while chilling. The temperature was down to 110 when I added it.

Is DME sanitized since they have had to boil wort to produce it? Or do I run the risk of contamination? FWIW I have a big slurry of S-05 yeast that I can pitch to fight the good fight. But I haven't added it yet in case you guys say I should reboil (I really don't want to go this route since I am having some people over tonight, and boiling and chilling 10 gallons would take a while)

You run a slight risk, but it's extremely small. Just go for it.

I'm sure you'll be fine. I think since the yeast will be dumped in so soon after boiling, most bacteria won't have a chance to take hold in your wort.

I still brew extract, and after I do my partial boil of 1.5 gallons and chill it, I add unsterilized, cold tap water right to that with no problems.

Don't get me wrong. It's best practice to use all sterilized items and ingredients throughout the process, but if you slip up, try not to worry. :mug:

I'm not sure if DME is sterilized or not though.

No sure if DME is necessarily sanitized or pasteurized, but unopened bags are pretty sanitary. What you did was essentially a 'late extract addition' which is used to keep color a bit lighter.
I'd be more concerned that it all was mixed in since you were already cooling.

Same here, did the same thing too once before. That batch is gone now, and it was very good, all the way to the last drop. I'm not going to guarantee that you wont have any issues, but I'm sure you will be fine.

It's basically sugar. Too concentrated to support any bacteria/fungus if stored correctly. If you let it get damp, that is a different issue.

Pitch that yeast and get ahead of anything that might be in there.

Thanks everyone. I decided to RDWHAHB, pitch the yeast and see what happens. I think the DME got somewhat completely dissolved, since there was none left in the kettle after draining to the fermenters. Pitched US-05. We shall see! Hopefully it turns out okay as this was one of my most expensive batches in a while.

Not to kick a dyeing horse or anything, but I have heard Chris White say that DME is in no way sanitary. It is sanitized when they boil it, but the spray drying process is not clean at all. (so LME is usually quite sanitary) So, while I would not say dump your beer, it may/probably will turn out fine as others have said the high concetraion/low water content is not a good environment for microorganisms. But I would not advocate anyone doing this on purpose.

I also imagine this is going to be one of the most cloudy batches I've had. The wort looked almost like milk when going to the fermentors. I believe that was due to no hot break.

Beerrific: I remember hearing this too, that was my freak-out moment. In hindsight, I should have just boiled up a few cups of water and added the DME to that, cool it, and pour into fermentor. I have hope that this will turn out ok, but will not be one bit surprised if I end up with sour mess.

Not to kick a dyeing horse or anything, but I have heard Chris White say that DME is in no way sanitary. It is sanitized when they boil it, but the spray drying process is not clean at all. (so LME is usually quite sanitary) So, while I would not say dump your beer, it may/probably will turn out fine as others have said the high concetraion/low water content is not a good environment for microorganisms. But I would not advocate anyone doing this on purpose.

+1

I've read the same thing. I'll see if I can turn up the source shortly. DME is not as sanitary because they spray air through for drying it. LME was tested and found to be more sanitary.

Regardless, sounds like you've taken action, if not, consider bringing it back up to boil for a minute and then re-chill. Otherwise, pitch your yeast and drink a quality IPA in a month or so. I doubt you'll have an issue if your yeast are strong.

+1

I've read the same thing. I'll see if I can turn up the source shortly. DME is not as sanitary because they spray air through for drying it. LME was tested and found to be more sanitary.

Regardless, sounds like you've taken action, if not, consider bringing it back up to boil for a minute and then re-chill. Otherwise, pitch your yeast and drink a quality IPA in a month or so. I doubt you'll have an issue if your yeast are strong.

Well the 'action' I took was trying to bombard it with massive amounts of yeast (split an entire yeast cake from a 5 gallon batch of 1.050 beer into two 5 gallon buckets).

I have no problem telling the SWMBO that this batch needs to be drank quickly before it goes bad. :rockin::cross:

Well the 'action' I took was trying to bombard it with massive amounts of yeast (split an entire yeast cake from a 5 gallon batch of 1.050 beer into two 5 gallon buckets).

I have no problem telling the SWMBO that this batch needs to be drank quickly before it goes bad. :rockin::cross:[/QUOTE

Cool, fwiw, been there, done that. I did the same thing you just did. The beer was terrific. The only reason I'd do anything different now is because I've read more and become more paranoid as time goes on :drunk:.

I am happy to announce that there is a nice healthy krausen on top of both fermentors. They are bubbling away nicely at around 63*. I know I am not out of the water yet, but the yeast are definitely giving it their all.

Thanks for everyones input!

Latest posts

Back