Ultra cheap carbonation method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummasan

Reaction score
For my last two brews I racked from the primary to the keg after 8 days (while the yeast were still working their buts off), sealed the kegs nice and tight, and let the yeast carb my beer at room temp for two more weeks. No added expense of 3/4 cups of corn sugar or no need to waste CO2.

After two weeks in the keg one beer had excellent head and the other needed a shot of CO2 for 24 hours to get a nice head.

For both of the beers the head was thick, foamy and long-lasting. The character of the head was slightly different from straight CO2 carbed beer.

I do this all the time with the method in my signature, without moving the beer to a secondary. Works great and no risk of infection from the move. After three to four weeks in the primary I move under counter-pressure to my serving keg, and have beer that needs only a fraction more seddling if any. If there is more time needed, the first couple of pints out of my kegerator get it clean from then on. I like the head it produces, and think your way and my way produce great carbonation.

I don't understand. The amount of sugar you would need to prime a 5 gallon batch couldn't cost more then 20cents. How cheap can you be?

I'm not really that cheap...just wanted to post what I did for my last two batches. I wanted to build up my dwindling stock of finished beer and only gave my these two batches 8 days in primary. Effectively I moved from primary stage 1 to primary stage 2 and happened to carb my beer along the way.

hay - that 20 cents can add up. One batch a week over a year and we're talking $10. SOMEBODY has money to burn!!!

and how much yeast is in the bottom of the keg?

if its still fermenting, its still producing sediment. nothing wrong with it, but I like to keep my kegs as sediment free as possible so cleanup is easier. i only force carb my kegs for that reason.

One of the kegs had a good bit of sediment at the bottom but the other had only a small amount.

Back