Sour Smoked Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
I brewed a smoked wheat beer the other day, and ended up with terrible eff. Shooting for an OG of 1.045 ended up getting 1.034. This was a Gratzebier(sp??) of sorts and while the original OG is meant to be in the 1.03 range i just don't want it to stall out at 1.1 or higher. I'm shooting for a FG of around 1.006 which would be fine. Let's say i don't get down that far and i'm sitting with a low abv, very sweet wheat. Could i pitch a small amount of wort from my 3 month old sour fermentor into this and be able to infect it to turn it into a sour wheat of sorts?

This wheat has only been going for 4 days and i haven't taken a reading just kind of exploring my options if this were to happen.

recipe:

3 gal batch

5lbs weyerman smoked wheat
1 oz perle to 35 IBUs
Wyeast 1007 German Ale 75%att.

Why do you think it will end up sweet? 35IBU is pretty high on that low of an OG beer. On low OG beers you typically need to mash high to leave a higher FG so the beer doesnt end up insipid and thin. I doubt it will end up sweetish.

On the flip side of things, Ive long thought about doing a smoke peach table sour, or here in the desert SW they smoke agave hearts (tastes like the best sweet bbq youve ever had) which Ive also wanted to use in a sour beer. So if youve got nothing to lose, give it a shot.

I'm not overly concerned at all. I have a pretty decent pipeline going and don't really "have" to have this ready soon. Brewday I mashed in at 152F BIAB style and it dropped down to 147F over the course of an hour. I'm positive i have a very fermentable wort and 75%+ att won't be an issue. I'm just really digging sours in general right now and if this doesn't taste up to par when finished i thought this may be an interesting route.

I'm currently obsessed with Mad Fermentationist's blog at the moment.

Ryane did you ever get around to making a sour with smoked agave hearts?

Latest posts

Back