Kegging First Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WkendBrewer

Reaction score
Is there any problem with placing the 5# CO2 tank in the fridge with the keg? Not yet ready to cut the holes in the fridge. If OK, Are there any adjustments to the pressure that I need to take into account while forcing?

Thanks.

There's no probelm doing this at all. If you have a gauge showing pressure inside the tank, the indication will reduce according to temperature but this is normal physics at work.

No compensation is required.

Thanks - I appreciate the help. Getting ready to fill the keg now - looking forward to having a cold one by this wweekend.

Here is a chart for CO2 that shows the relationship between temperature and pressure.

CO2_liquid_gas_chart.gif

Yep I agree with the others.. No problem, thats what I do. i don't know if there's any truth to it but I thinks its bettreto have the CO2 at the nice cold temp. anyway, keep everything nice and serving cold!!
Cheers.:mug:

You may have to adjust the regulator's output pressure once or twice, the first time it cools down.

I did adjust the regulator this morning - upped it to 15 psi from 13. Funny thing though - the tank pressure went from around 700 to 500 overnight (just touching the high side "buy more gas" red zone) - checked, and no leaks. Is this usual? Tried to sneak a pour this afternoon - plenty of pressure, no visible carbonation yet - tasted good though. Fridge temp is 38'F.:mug:

WkendBrewer said:
Funny thing though - the tank pressure went from around 700 to 500 overnight (just touching the high side "buy more gas" red zone) - checked, and no leaks. Is this usual?

It is completely normal. There is a direct pressure/temperature relationship with compressed CO2. Compressed CO2 is in a liquid/vapor state. As the temperature goes down, so does the pressure. A temp increase will result in an increase in pressure. That is why it is important to keep the tanks away from any heat source, to avoid blowing the relief!

The pressure will stay the same, at a given temperature, until all of the liquid in the tank has been vaporized. Once only vapor exists, the pressure will drop rapidly. I just posted this pressure/temperature chart for CO2 a couple of posts above, but I will post it again for your edification. You can see that at refrigerator temp, your pressure is what it should be.

CO2_liquid_gas_chart.gif

Thanks for the repost - I wasn't clear earlier about the relationship chart - I appreciate you explaining it again - clear now. Always good to learn new stuff - thanks.

Back