Bottle Caps Seal a Bit Too Well!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njnear76

Reaction score
I bought the Real Beer caps from Hops and Dreams. They look and seem as good quality as the gold beer caps, but unfortunately they seem to seal a little too well.

They are really hard to get off the bottle. Every couple of bottles ends up getting broken when I pry off the cap.

Anyone else have any experience with these caps?

It could also be that the bottles themselves are getting old. There is no way to tell, but these bottles might have been used 2-6 times already.

Old bottles wouldn't matter, but if the glass was thinner than other beer bottles, or the bottles had been stressed (like if someone put them in the oven or something), or if they were screw top bottles then they might break very easily.

Old bottles wouldn't matter, but if the glass was thinner than other beer bottles, or the bottles had been stressed (like if someone put them in the oven or something), or if they were screw top bottles then they might break very easily.

Naw. They were Sam Adams bottles. The caps were just sanitized and the bottles themselves were cleaned and sanitized. I never use the oven to sanitize. Perhaps I'm crimping too much on the bottle capper.

It's weird though. I probably will not use those bottle caps until I figure out what is going on.

Loosen the crimped edge gently just going around the cap with your bottle opener and just exerting enough pressure to get the seal loosened a little bit before popping the cap off.

Loosen the crimped edge gently just going around the cap with your bottle opener and just exerting enough pressure to get the seal loosened a little bit before popping the cap off.

Heh. I thought I tried that last time, but perhaps I'm still being a bit too forceful. It's not fun worrying about broken glass in your beer. Luckily glass sinks.

I think you're crimping the caps on too hard. Relax, man, it's not like when your ho's don't give up the money and you have to choke a *****.

I think you're crimping the caps on too hard. Relax, man, it's not like when your ho's don't give up the money and you have to choke a *****.

Most likely this is the case. I'm a skinny boy, but I can be a bit forceful.

Heh. I thought I tried that last time, but perhaps I'm still being a bit too forceful. It's not fun worrying about broken glass in your beer. Luckily glass sinks.

Soooo you are still drinking it? shards and all?

I wouldn't run it through a screen. Like you said glass sinks.

I have had this happen once, but i was **** faced at the time and i do not think it was the caps fault.

If you are using heat to sanitize your bottles it may be that. Frequent changes between hot and cold can make glass more brittle. If you use the sanitize function on your dishwasher it may be part of the problem. But probably not because I know that lots of people do use their dishwashers without any issues.

Back