Things I Learned During Yesterday's Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekknoschtev

Reaction score
Yesterday, my brother and a mutual friend of ours got together for the first of what we hope to be monthly brewing sessions from here on out. I've never done more than two brews in a single day, nor have I ever done an all grain batch (BIAB), so there were definitely some learning curves here. Oh, did I mention I was by far the most experienced with only 4 batches under my belt so far? Whoops.

1. When the weather guy says its 27 outside, and that it feels like 16, you huddle extra close to the fire pit. This would have been fine, if the brew pot and burner were anywhere near said fire pit. It was very cold.

2. My thermometer sucks. I'm glad I 'calibrated' it the night before, because water boiled at 227°F and my living room was at a pretty warm 98°F. I'm pretty sure that the amount that it was off was not linear, but I made my best approximation. I will be purchasing a new digital thermometer in the near future, because trying to maintain mash temperatures using a thermometer of unknown quality was a bit nerve wracking.

3. Moving 8 gallons of 154 degree water from the stove top to the burner outside with a pot that has no handles was... interesting. I'm using a converted liquid nitrogen canister (confirmed that it was aluminum) but I hadn't had an opportunity to put handles on it yet. My brother and I bear hugged it onto a towel and then used the towel to carry it out.

4. If your immersion chiller blows one of its hoses off, water gets everywhere. Combine that with the aforementioned 27 degree high for the day, and well water freezes pretty fast. This was particularly interesting after our second brew as we were dragging my BIAB pot out because I couldn't get the burner to start. Turns out that water had frozen in the openings of the burner. Pouring hot water on top of the burner unfroze the water and we were good to go.

5. Also with regard to the outside temperature - its necessary to evacuate the hoses used for the immersion chiller between batches. The water had started to freeze in the lines and made it difficult to get things going. But, once they did, the hot water coming out of the exit on the chiller certainly thawed things out.

6. Cold breaks are weird beasts! I've never seen a cold break in person before (whether or not that's a good thing is another story) but for my brew, I saw the line of cold break material form and then drop out of suspension in my carboy VERY clearly. I snagged some photos that I'll have to put up some time, but suffice it to say - there was no question about it.

7. Having a three brew day means we need to start earlier and have less non-interested brewers around. A couple of my brother's friends swung by to "hang out and observe" but that turned into "observe and distract" so while my brother's brew had lots of attention, mine had little other than my personal attention.

And finally, 8. Start earlier so I'm not trying to finish in the dark and cold. With the evaporation from my pot, it was very difficult to determine exactly when it got to the boil to throw my hops in and start.

And, as pessimistic as that all sounds, in the end, it was a great day hanging out with some good friends that will result in us having 15 gallons of beer to put on tap. In a few weeks, we'll be reconvening to either bottle or keg our respective beers, and see where things go from there. And then, we get to start all over again :)

Nice lessons learned! Sounds like it was a fun day even with all the distractions etc. I agree about starting earlier...I somehow always start the brew day later than I wanted. Even worse is when I start bottling at 10pm and I work the next day...being stressed while doing this is not what homebrewing is about!

What kind of beer did you guys make?

Did my first two 10 gal batch day over a month ago. It's a nice feeling to fill up 4 kegs in an afternoon :)

I'm with you on the distraction. My neighbor comes over all the time and I have to keep on my toes. I've messed up my hops schedule and missed Irish Moss, etc.

Nice lessons learned! Sounds like it was a fun day even with all the distractions etc. I agree about starting earlier...I somehow always start the brew day later than I wanted. Even worse is when I start bottling at 10pm and I work the next day...being stressed while doing this is not what homebrewing is about!

What kind of beer did you guys make?

We made an breakfast stout that is supposed to be a clone of Founder's Breakfast Stout, an "American Ale" from a kit my buddy picked up, and a BIAB All Grain (my first) Cream of Three Crops.

Three batches in one day?!?! Crazy . . . .

Eh, had we started earlier, and had less distractions, and was a touch more organized it wouldn't have been crazy.

^ agreed, you are crazy. Sounds like a good day though ;)

Yes, very good day.

Did my first two 10 gal batch day over a month ago. It's a nice feeling to fill up 4 kegs in an afternoon :)

I'm with you on the distraction. My neighbor comes over all the time and I have to keep on my toes. I've messed up my hops schedule and missed Irish Moss, etc.

I bought 5 extra kegs to help with the increased pipeline we're going to have. 15 gallons this weekend, and next month, probably another 10. We'll have to work extra hard getting them emptied :)

How many burners / kettles did you guys have going at once? If you only had one, I can see how your brewday would be slow.

How many burners / kettles did you guys have going at once? If you only had one, I can see how your brewday would be slow.

We only have one propane burner, so that was definitely our limiting factor. For mashing mine, I put it on the stove (my pot is big enough to fit on two burners) and started it mashing while the second brew was boiling. I've got another burner on my Christmas wish list, but I'll probably wind up buying it myself. That'll make brew day go faster!

Sounds like an interesting brewday.

Brewed a batch on Saturday; did the boil on the front steps (-11 Celcius outside, which is 12 degrees Fahrenheit) but everything else was indoors. Worked great! Sure boil a lot of liquid off with the air that dry--2.5 gallons or something in 90 minutes.

Sounds like an interesting brewday.

Brewed a batch on Saturday; did the boil on the front steps (-11 Celcius outside, which is 12 degrees Fahrenheit) but everything else was indoors. Worked great! Sure boil a lot of liquid off with the air that dry--2.5 gallons or something in 90 minutes.

That was another thing I noticed. Based on the rough calculations I found online, I needed to start my BIAB session with ~ 7.5 gallons of water to get myself down to 5 gallons after the boil. I started with slightly more than 8 gallons of water and ended up with just about 4 gallons of wort in the end. Hit my target OG though, which felt good for my first all grain brew :)

Back