finishing to sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zahna

Reaction score
Ok, so i just tried my cider after just over a week in the bottles. It's really dry and alcoholic (I'm decently buzzed after one 12oz bottle). I want to make sweeter cider next time, but here's my dilemma: I want sweeter cider, but I know that adding suger to make it sweeter just gives the yeast food. I really don't want to make bottle bombs. What are some pointers to making a sweeter cider that's still decently (5-6%) alcoholic?

BTW, I just found out that Lalvin EC-1118 yeast (what I used) ferments out to dryness and can withstand up to 18% alcohol content. Not exactly what I was going for... :drunk:

You could always try using an ale yeast instead, like Nottingham or Safale 56. Those usually peter out at around 6% and very neutral in taste, so no odd yeast flavors.

Or when the fermentation hits the gravity you want, you could add sulfites to kill the yeast.

Two ways:
lactose, which doesn't ferment or
campden tablets to kill the yeast + more juice for sweetness

Back