My nephew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prey

Reaction score
Well my nephew has been fascinated with homebrewing and such and decided to buy some brewer's yeast at his local homebrew shop. Unfortunately he is only 19, so he isn't of legal age yet. My question is how he bought it and whether that is legal or not. Thanks

prey said:
Well my nephew has been fascinated with homebrewing and such and decided to buy some brewer's yeast at his local homebrew shop. Unfortunately he is only 19, so he isn't of legal age yet. My question is how he bought it and whether that is legal or not. Thanks

Buying ALCOHOL is illegal. Buying yeast and sugar is not illegal.

It's perfectly legal to buy the ingredients to beer, but once it it has fermented he will be in violation of the law for being in posession of alcohol and under the age of 21.

-walker

Buying the makings is ok, as w-s says. Ale yeast & bread yeast are related, sugar is sugar. Posession and consumption age laws very quite a bit from state to state. Oregon has some exceptions for people under 21, but all involve parents/guardians.

Of course it is, but it won't let them know if the one they are going to will. I wouldn't try it in Oregon.

the_bird said:
We sure this question isn't just a tricky way of a 19 year old asking us if he'll get carded walking into a HBS? ;)

Of course, that's EXACTLY what this is. It's the only post from prey.

I'm just glad that THIS underaged person seems to be intelligent (proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc).

I've got no problem with a 19 year old brewing beer and drinking it. I fully intend to teach my son the trade when he's ready to go off to college. There is no better way to make money for a college freshman than producing and selling beer to the other 18 year olds at extremely high prices. :)

-walker

prey said:
Thanks for the replies, I admit that this post sounded rather fishy but I guarantee you I'm old enough to be an average father (heck, even a grandfather). I'm 38 soon to be turning 39. ;)

you're a liar on some level, though. Your profile says you were born in september of 1977, which puts you at 28.

did you lie there, or here? ;)

-walker

edit: NINJA EDIT! I caught his reply before he delete it. :)

Walker, I was thinking about you this weekend. I happened to catch the last five minutes of this show on the History Channel about the history of brewing. The finished with Sam Adams and the Utopias, and were talking about how they had developed these special "Ninja Yeast" that could survive the 25% alcohol content.

haha

I was wondering this when I was buying all the stuff for the first time. I thought I was going to get carded... I'm used to it since I look like I'm 15 (last Rated R movie I went to I got carded lol!)
BTW I am 25. born in 1981... I think I did the math right.. :p

olllllo said:
I remember when kids could get a note from mom or dad to pick up a six pack or smokes from the corner store.

Still works in my small home town in Nebraska.

Sephro said:
haha

I was wondering this when I was buying all the stuff for the first time. I thought I was going to get carded... I'm used to it since I look like I'm 15 (last Rated R movie I went to I got carded lol!)
BTW I am 25. born in 1981... I think I did the math right.. :p

Dude, I have the exact same problem. Thirty going on seventeen. SWMBO still gives me crap about the fifteen year old usher chick who carded me going into "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back." I don't even wait to pull out my ID when I'm buying a six pack. I'm thinking it's time I grew a beard or something.

the_bird said:
Walker, I was thinking about you this weekend.
I feel very special now.

the_bird said:
I happened to catch the last five minutes of this show on the History Channel about the history of brewing. The finished with Sam Adams and the Utopias, and were talking about how they had developed these special "Ninja Yeast" that could survive the 25% alcohol content.

I've seen that. It was Modern Marvels, right? This is the show I watched that talked about Dogfish's "Midas Touch" and got me all excited to try it. I had some of it at the World Beer Festival here in Raleigh in April.... I was not impressed. It was cool how they got the recipe, but I'd rather have a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

-walker

the_bird said:
Dude, I have the exact same problem. Thirty going on seventeen. SWMBO still gives me crap about the fifteen year old usher chick who carded me going into "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back." I don't even wait to pull out my ID when I'm buying a six pack. I'm thinking it's time I grew a beard or something.

I look older than I am. My wife looks younger than she is. She's also about 2 years younger than me. Combine that all together, and you might not expect that were even in the same ballpark with our ages.

I was in a store with her one time and the check out clerk smiled at her and asked if she was my little sister. I responded that she was in fact my wife, and this lady gave me a look like I was some evil perv.

Only later did I realize that an even better response to the question would have been to say that she was my sister and then get all touchy-feely with her while out stuff was rung up.

-walker

Walker-san said:
II've seen that. It was Modern Marvels, right? This is the show I watched that talked about Dogfish's "Midas Touch" and got me all excited to try it. I had some of it at the World Beer Festival here in Raleigh in April.... I was not impressed. It was cool how they got the recipe, but I'd rather have a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
-walker

I think so. It was on at eight in the morning, I was just finishing feeding my daughter breakfast and had turned on the TV, looking for one of her shows. I'm not usually expecting to see shows about drinking while I'm still finishing my Cheerios, but her Sesame Street was going to have to wait until it was over.

Walker-san said:
I look older than I am. My wife looks younger than she is. She's also about 2 years younger than me. Combine that all together, and you might not expect that were even in the same ballpark with our ages.

I was in a store with her one time and the check out clerk smiled at her and asked if she was my little sister. I responded that she was in fact my wife, and this lady gave me a look like I was some evil perv.

Only later did I realize that an even better response to the question would have been to say that she was my sister and then get all touchy-feely with her while out stuff was rung up.

-walker

I kinda figured that down in your neck of the woods, "my little sister" and "my wife" weren't mutually exclusive concepts. Rednecks. :D

the_bird said:
??

The hunted becoming the hunted?

Might want to proofread before hitting "submit," my friend.

He's already prey... It was a joke.

ETA: Think Police Cheif Wiggum.
ETA: Chief... I'm not gonna troll.

the_bird said:
I kinda figured that down in your neck of the woods, "my little sister" and "my wife" weren't mutually exclusive concepts. Rednecks. :D

This happened in California, but... I do come from a long line of rednecks and neanderthals. I'm only the third generation in my family to walk up-right, as a matter of fact.

-walker

Ok, thought you meant for one of those "hunted" to be a "hunter." Putting it in Wiggum's voice helps it make sense (kinda). Hell, ANYTHING is funny if you say it in Wiggum's voice.

Ok, so hypothetically speaking (of course I'm not gonna do it), a person that is underage can buy brewer's yeast at a specialty store legally?

prey said:
Ok, so hypothetically speaking (of course I'm not gonna do it), a person that is underage can buy brewer's yeast at a specialty store legally?
Absolutely, but remember... the proprietor of the shop always has the right to refuse service to you if they are so inclined.

Legally, you can buy it, but the store's policy might prevent it.

-walker

the_bird said:
Any reason not to buy online? No issues there, nobody's going to check your ID.

Parents maybe. It's easier to smuggle it into the house yourself than have the UPS man deliver it to your mom with a return address of Austin Home Brew or Northern Brewer on the package.

Now... hiding a carboy? That's a trick I could have never pulled off at my parents' house.

-walker

Prey, I think you should send a PM to makingitgood, he sounded like he had some good experience at making hooch in his bedroom and hiding it from mom and dad. :D

So, fess up to us... are you 19? Are you in college? High school?

LOL....

Is it that hard for kids to get beer these days?

I had to drive 15 mins, but I'd load up every trip. Helluva lot easier than having to brew my own :cross:

Ok, so I'm really 17, turning 18 in September. I don't know if you guys have heard of UCSD, but I will be a sophomore there in the upcoming fall quarter. I started becoming interested in this about 2 weeks ago when I read about it on the internet, and so I have been trying to make hard cider with baker's yeast but it doesn't taste very good as expected.

Fatabbot said:
LOL....

Is it that hard for kids to get beer these days?

I had to drive 15 mins, but I'd load up every trip. Helluva lot easier than having to brew my own :cross:

We used to pay this really, really, REALLY scary guy $3 to buy us an 18 pack. Slimy, gross, smelly dude whose gave off the aura of a sex offender. A couple of my friends would do "beer runs"; literally, go into store, pick up beer, run. Thankfully I was always too much of a chicken**** to ever partake in this partiuclar activity. Had we known about homebrewing, we might have tried it, but I'm sure we would have been drinking Dumpsterbrau out of the fermenter after three days.

Back