Which would you reccomend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbrewer227

Reaction score
I am bottling tommorow should I boil the caps or soak them in star-san? By the way I dont know if it will make a difference on the answer but they are oxygen absorbing caps.

I have an older book that says boil but most say dont boil since it may damage the seal. I just washed my and soaked them in Star San and everything was good.

I am bottling tommorow should I boil the caps or soak them in star-san? By the way I dont know if it will make a difference on the answer but they are oxygen absorbing caps.

Which method do you prefer? Both are going to get the job done. Just make sure your hands are sanitized when working with them afterward, but I am sure I didn't need to mention that.

I have an older book that says boil but most say dont boil since it may damage the seal. I just washed my and soaked them in Star San and everything was good.

I've never used the oxygen-absorbing caps, but I'm pretty sure I read that both boiling and getting them wet in anyway will ruin the oxygen-absorbing abilities...so I would just cap them as is.

I've never used the oxygen-absorbing caps, but I'm pretty sure I read that both boiling and getting them wet in anyway will ruin the oxygen-absorbing abilities...so I would just cap them as is.

I got to look into that since the last batch I bought was re-bagged in a zip lock freezer bag by the HBS store. And since I don't know if Jim Bob just came out of the crapper before filling the bags that would bother me. Not washing them some way that is.

Well from what I found is that the oxygen absorbing treatment is a applied chemical that starts doing its job once it gets wet. So from what I found you don't want to use a oxygen cleaner fist off and others say that you can boil or use Star san but don't soak. Just dip the amount needed for a few seconds then cap. I haven't found anyone so far that had bad results. I seems like even if you did boil them too long or soak them too long just the oxygen absorbing chemical you be used up but the cap would still be a cap! So it seems like everything else in brewing its debatable and up to you in the end.

Back