BCS Firmware 4.0 Released

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No manual mode or HMI? I do not currently use a custom HMI on either of mine but hope too soon... From the thread on ECC they will add it back in though. No manual mode is confusing. You have to turn on a process to perform an action without a concession for manually testing?

I think HMI is likely to return at some point in the future, though it is really a nice-to, not a need-to IMO.

If you have a PC based host, you can use JonW's excellent BCS Desktop app: http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2720

Manual "mode" is not needed... The main control page gives you all the manual control you like. You can turn outputs on/off and see inputs right on the page.

-BD

I installed the beta version of this release 6 months back. It was honestly a real pain to jump from 3 to 4, and when it finally took I'm not sure why/how. I get really nervous thinking about having to upgrade again. Does any one know if there are any major changes from the beta to 4.0? Other than a few odds bugs here and there the beta seems reasonably stable. Thanks.

There are several changes between the beta's and the release version. I would highly suggest you use the release version. No support can be given for any issues in the beta versions since all outstanding issues are fixed in the release version.

The firmware update is very straight forward. You can use the backup/restore utility to backup your current config and restore the whole thing to the new version. You don't need to migrate again like you did with 3.x.

Thanks JonW. I'd forgotten that was able to backup/restore. That definitely helps. I also have to give the folks at ECC props for releasing a much improved instruction manual for the BCS and for software upgrades! Looks like it's time for an upgrade.

I am trying to update to the latest firmware and I am missing something. I followed the link to the guide above which states:

Firmware Upgrade

To upgrade your BCS to the latest firmware, you must use TFTP which is a simple program used to transfer files on the local network. There are several free TFTP servers available on the Internet. Download the firmware file to your computer and follow the instructions for setting up your chosen TFTP server. Enter the IP address of your TFTP server in the IP Address box and click the Upgrade button. Once the download is complete, the BCS will take a few minutes to install the upgrade and reboot. Be sure to back-up your configuration before you upgrade.

I am using a mac and have TFTP server running. I can't for the life of me find where I am supposed to download the firmware 4.0??

I am trying to update to the latest firmware and I am missing something. I followed the link to the guide above which states:

Firmware Upgrade

To upgrade your BCS to the latest firmware, you must use TFTP which is a simple program used to transfer files on the local network. There are several free TFTP servers available on the Internet. Download the firmware file to your computer and follow the instructions for setting up your chosen TFTP server. Enter the IP address of your TFTP server in the IP Address box and click the Upgrade button. Once the download is complete, the BCS will take a few minutes to install the upgrade and reboot. Be sure to back-up your configuration before you upgrade.

I am using a mac and have TFTP server running. I can't for the life of me find where I am supposed to download the firmware 4.0??

Yo Big Dawg @ jcc4507fly checkout the forum post by Brahn http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2730 with a BIN file for you to take advantage of.

Thanks just joined the forum over there. I have been searching and reading trying to get this to work on Mac.

Read the thread you posted above. That's the same program I am using. Haven't been successful yet...I will try again tomorrow. Hopefully with better luck.

I think HMI is likely to return at some point in the future, though it is really a nice-to, not a need-to IMO.

If you have a PC based host, you can use JonW's excellent BCS Desktop app: http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2720

Manual "mode" is not needed... The main control page gives you all the manual control you like. You can turn outputs on/off and see inputs right on the page.

-BD
Jon's Desktop app is fun to play with.. Looking forward to do more with it this fall/winter. Thanks Jon for sharing this app!

Thanks just joined the forum over there. I have been searching and reading trying to get this to work on Mac.

Read the thread you posted above. That's the same program I am using. Haven't been successful yet...I will try again tomorrow. Hopefully with better luck.

Pay attention to the folder that you have the BCS file in. I remember having to try a few different folders before I got it to work... I think my MAC's panties got in a bunch when I tried sharing the Documents folder... then I created a BCS folder... look at my screen shot - I am sure there are some hints there.

I had it on my desktop. I will try creating a new folder titled BCS within my document folder. [emoji482]

Well after researching how TFTP works, and playing around with this a lot, I finally got it working. I think my problem was a Permissions issue. However, not completely sure exactly what did it for me but here are a list of steps that I went through.

MAKE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR CONFIG FILES PRIOR TO UPDATE

Go to link, at the bottom of the first post download the attachment: BCS460.bin (Remember where you save this file to, we will use it later. I saved mine to my downloads folder.)
http://forum.embeddedcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2730

Go to link and download TFTP Server, its free:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11116/tftpserver
Install Application, but no need to run the Application yet! We will come back to it after a few more config steps.

Once installed, Go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Firewall>Firewall Options>Click +>Select TftpServer (If your firewall is turned on this will allow TFTP to receive request from BCS.)I REMOVED TFTP SERVER FROM LIST ONCE UPDATE COMPLETED

Right-Click Finder>Go To Folder>/Private

Right-Click tftpboot>Get Info>Sharing & Permissions>Change ALL to Read & Write

Grab the file that we downloaded earlier titled "BCS460.bin" and move it into the tftpboot folder.

Open Application>TftpServer
Current Path should be set to /private/tftpboot
If it is not click in Current Path window and type /private/tftpboot
Then click Refresh Button
You should now see the file titled bcs460.bin listed within the window.
Also note the ip address that is to the right of current path window. This is your HOST COMPUTER'S IP.
Verify that Working Path Permissions and Parent folders permissions both have a green icon. If not click "fix".
Then up at the top left click "Start TFTP"

Now proceed to your browser. (I used Chrome)
Type the ip of your BCS.(If you dont know it there is a helpful iphone app called Fing.)
On top right proceed to Settings>Firmware upgrade>then type host computer ip address.
After a few minutes I refreshed my browser and was greeted by the new 4.0 UI!:rockin:

Don't forget to go and remove TFTP from your Firewall Options!
Also, you should press Stop button on TftpServer App and close it.

Thank you AF1 for your help!

Last edited:
OMG! jcc, you are some sort of demigod! This is probably the third or fourth time I've upgraded my bcs firmware, and just the first time it went smoothly and without incident. instead of spending most of an evening fighting to find my BCS - there it was. . . just like you said it would be - upgraded, happy, and ready to brew.

Thank you sir!
Plove

FYI - I have posted firmware version 4.0.1 on the ECC forum.

Probably a dumb question - but where on the forum? I seem to be running firmware 4.0.0 build c5bda61. Might as well upgrade to the latest version. . .

Thanks!
P

Thanks Jon. Guess the ECC forum page hadn't updated, or I needed to clear my cookies. . .

Back