Sauerkraut and ... ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww yeah. Short fermentation...like 4 or 5 days. Eat it within a couple of weeks, though. The onions get funky after a while.

I'm drooling thinking of ways to make this happen tonight. Shredded pork would be awesome but we don't have that.

We do have some kielbasa. I'm thinking I may slice that, fry it, then dice it. A layer of that, a layer of kraut, and then some mexican pickle relish on that may work. "Will it Taco? - YES!"

Cabbage been in the crock for more than 7 days. Not much lacto going on. I don't usually taste at 7 days anyway, but it did start losing a bit of green color and the water started turning slightly cloudy. I'm ready for a sauerkraut treat soon. Had a Stuffed Cabbage Soup at a nearby restaurant and I want to try that with a bit of sauerkraut instead of plain cabbage.

Since you aren't coming to New York any time soon least I can do is share a recipe for a deli-style sauerkraut knish.

http://www.food.com/recipe/sauerkraut-knishes-387509

Also, many of you may scoff... I can hear the scoffing already... but I sear two pork chops that I have seasoned with salt and pepper and then put in a casserole. I cover this with sauerkraut, salt, pepper, a little cider vinegar and sazon Goya and allow to really bubble and simmer.

Just finished up my latest sauerkraut experiment. It's one head of cabbage and three chopped turnips. Yielded about a quart.

It's sour, bitter, bright, and earthy, all at once. It tastes amazing, even if it does smell like the dumpster behind a seafood restaurant. :ban:

View attachment 1449946841475.jpg

Bigos - polish hunter's stew

+1 on the Reubens, or as a topper to many other hot sammiches.

Bigos! Cabbage, kraut, kielbasa, pork, onion, carrots, paprika, beef stock, bay leaf, and a little garlic simmered for hours, salt & pepper to taste.

image.jpg

I just started my third batch of Saurkraut while living in Texas. I received a harsh crock while living in Calgary and found perfect fermenting temperatures in the basement all year. Well i was not that lucky in Texas and have had real problems with Sauerkraut here. I know have fixed that and am using the my old small fridge with a temperature controler on it to keep the temp in the optimal zone. We will see how it goes......

I wonder if you could add chili powder and garlic to make instant kimchi?

Yes, but needs something fishy too. Salted shrimp paste, fish sauce, or even dried shrimp powder. I'v heard of people with shrip allergy or vegetarians who use kelp powder for the taste.

I'v got Atomic Frog Balls going now. Essentially kimchi seasoned Brussels. Really ripe, just getting soft. Probably another week before they're ready.
Atomic frog balls.jpg

Incredible....
A four year old thread and nobody's mentioned shnitzengruben.
You simply cannot eat shnitzengruben without sauerkraut.
The Teutonic Titwillow says so......o_O

Cook polish sausage or brats part way on the grill. Finish them up in a steamer. Add the kraut to the steamer just long enough to get it warmed up but not cooked to mush.

I used a mix of homemade red and regular kraut for these.
klqQMjJ.jpg

Make kraut but add a tbs or two of mildish pepper flakes (per 2lbs cabbage) to the ferment. This is more or less a super simplified kimchi.

Add to a brat, sausage or hot dog with 1000Island dressing....These are crazy good and works well on a Reuben too.
vePu00y.jpg

More simple version. Just top it off with your favorite hot sauce. I think i used Sriracha for this one.
jNM2IFv.jpg

I like to put 4 lb. or so pork shoulder roast in the crock pot cover it with 4 lbs. of kraut and let it go til it's fall apart tender then serve over mashed potatoes . I literally cant stop eating it . It's one of my favorite meals.

Kraut also makes killer egg rolls. Use ground pork or even some corned beef.

Fermented Brussel sprouts you say?...Yeah done that too and they do take a bit longer than kraut.
EHuahoW.jpg

eVaTm1r.jpg

Just finished some sauerkraut that was in the crock for 23 days. It seems perfect. We have been in a cold spell for this month so the temperature in the house has been set at 69* and worked perfectly.

When it comes to kimchi and kraut, when it starts to get stinky and nasty, it is just starting to get good. Those brats look amazing!

You havent had nothing until you have had 2yr old kimchi. :D

When it comes to kimchi and kraut, when it starts to get stinky and nasty, it is just starting to get good. Those brats look amazing!

Mine never lasts that long but i do have some thats 6 months old or so. I save it for stews mostly. Fresher stuff is for eating as a side or in stirfry. Fatty pork stirfried and braised in kimchi with pepper paste is killer.

I just started a batch of kraut i use for hot dogs, brats and even Reubens.
4 bags of Dole Slaw mix (3 bags will fill a 2qt hocking jar after weeping)
A little over 1 TBS canning salt
1-2 tsp of sugar....wont mater much cause the Lacto B will chomp it down fast. (optional)
2 TBS Korean coarse pepper flakes

Weep the slaw mix in the salt for 2 hours. Mix well every 30min.
Add the pepper flakes, a few ounces of water and a TBS of juice from a previous ferment. Mix well and PACK it into a fermenter and i mean pack it down tight.

When it smells sour toss it in the fridge for at least 2 weeks.

This recipe has never failed to produce great semi spicy kraut.

Back