Broken Glass Carboy Horror Stories Compendium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is it that people will not take responsibility for their actions and are constantly looking for someone or something else to blame.

Is that supposed to be a question or a statement?

Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew.

I think you can stop this now. You've made your point too many times here. You don't need to say it again.

If you're careful, pay attention to what you're doing and what's happening in your surroundings, you don't need luck.
Unseen damage? Really? It couldn't be that cleaning a carboy in a bathtub is just a really bad idea?
Nah, people have bad ideas more often than that.
Glass is completely predictable. It's called physics. People are what's not predictable.
It certainly is, and if you don't see that, then you're quite naive. Just because you're a klutz doesn't mean everyone else is.
You're blaming an inanimate object for your carelessness.
Regardless of the circumstances, if you break a carboy, it's because you were careless. Period.

Why are you guys even talking about tempted glass? Do you know a source that sells tempted glass carboys cause i would love to buy some. Probably much safer than non tempered.

Why are you guys even talking about tempted glass? Do you know a source that sells tempted glass carboys cause i would love to buy some. Probably much safer than non tempered.
Unfortunately, I've never heard of a tempered carboy. I'd buy one...

This whole thread just gives me the willies. The pics in that first post are horrifying. What it tells me is something I already know. Glass carboys are just not worth it. In fact , I have a better bottle that hasn't been used in two years cause it is such a pain to clean.
Plastic buckets are so much easier.

This whole thread just gives me the willies. The pics in that first post are horrifying. What it tells me is something I already know. Glass carboys are just not worth it. In fact , I have a better bottle that hasn't been used in two years cause it is such a pain to clean.
Plastic buckets are so much easier.

Better bottles are super easy to clean. Fill with hot tap water, some oxy clean versatile free, let it sit for a few hours, and rinse. All the crud go bye bye.

++1 on easy to clean re Better Bottles. I use 1 Tbsp of B-Brite per gallon of hot water & let them soak about an hour, then rinse w/ lukewarm water. I've had to use a brush only once or twice in 3+ years.

bctdi, Thank you for elaborating on my windshield analogy. I find it interesting that plane windshields are a combination of glass and plastic. I've been driving over twenty years and luckily I never had a windshield crack. I did break another carboy since my last post but it was totally my fault. I was trying to wedge it on a shelf and it hit another carboy. Oh well. It didn't shatter into a million pieces and I didn't get hurt.

I hope no one gets cut anymore but I figure injuries are inevitable with all of the creators on this site. I don't know about with the plastic carboys.... but I have laid myself open opening those plastic clam shell packaging containers. I am sort of off topic but plastic can be dangerous too. :);):mug: I make sure to keep some kitchen shears at hand to prevent the dreaded clam shell frustration from causing me to grab a steak knife. When I cut myself once the doctor that stitched me up showed me the scars on his thumbs that were in the exact same spot but he had the scar on both of his thumbs:) He was sympathetic with a smile:) Brew on!!!

http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/thousands-injured-by-adiabolicala-packaging.html

I see several of those square pane pattern glass carboys in this thread. There's a full one of those in my closet now. No idea how old it is. My friend found it on the curb. I'll probably be dead before dawn. :p

But, I dunno, my glass looks thicker than these. In pictures, anyway.

I wonder, carboy for carboy, does three gallon glass break less than five? Does the 17 or so less pounds make a difference?

These images are certainly frightening, but do not motivate me to abandon glass fermentation vessels. Ultimately, I think we are choosing our poison here, as glass comes with obvious risks -which can be very well-controlled through good practices- while plastics leach known an unknown substances into our consumables, affecting our ferments and our health in subtler ways than a slit wrist (heat and caustic substances greatly increase this tendency).

I believe obvious risks are often easier to avoid, and have opted to put the burden of safety on my own shoulders, rather than to trust repeated long-term use of plastic (I have used it). The danger of glass lies almost entirely in how it is handled.

That being said, what I have noticed on some of my containers (the ones that match the square-paneled 5-gallon carboys) is that there are obvious seams on the bottom, which may be contribute to the "clean" breakages at certain points or lend a susceptibility to thermal shock or increased static loads.

My vote is on higher quality glass, better safety procedures (fill in place, thermal acclimation, not carrying full-of-hot-wort carboys down into the basement-which I have done- etc.), and inexpensive accessories to reduce the risk of injury.

These images are certainly frightening, but do not motivate me to abandon glass fermentation vessels. Ultimately, I think we are choosing our poison here, as glass comes with obvious risks -which can be very well-controlled through good practices- while plastics leach known an unknown substances into our consumables, affecting our ferments and our health in subtler ways than a slit wrist (heat and caustic substances greatly increase this tendency).

I believe obvious risks are often easier to avoid, and have opted to put the burden of safety on my own shoulders, rather than to trust repeated long-term use of plastic (I have used it). The danger of glass lies almost entirely in how it is handled.

That being said, what I have noticed on some of my containers (the ones that match the square-paneled 5-gallon carboys) is that there are obvious seams on the bottom, which may be contribute to the "clean" breakages at certain points or lend a susceptibility to thermal shock or increased static loads.

My vote is on higher quality glass, better safety procedures (fill in place, thermal acclimation, not carrying full-of-hot-wort carboys down into the basement-which I have done- etc.), and inexpensive accessories to reduce the risk of injury.

I think I'm a lot more comfortable with my old water-cooler jugs, than I'd be with new ones made in Mexico or wherever. One of mine was made in 1970; the other one's even older (don't remember the exact date). And over the years, I'm sure they've survived a lot rougher handling than I give them.

But again: since reading this thread, I've started treating them with a lot more care and respect anyway. I don't want to be the subject of a photo that goes viral...

This is the point I was trying to make, but it seems many just don't want to hear it. Rather than trying to scare people away from carboys, which is what this thread was seemingly meant to do, why not educate them on the risks and the proper practices required to safely use them.

This is the point I was trying to make, but it seems many just don't want to hear it. Rather than trying to scare people away from carboys, which is what this thread was seemingly meant to do, why not educate them on the risks and the proper practices required to safely use them.

Wow... Still not over it I see.

You've spent an inordinate amount time in this thread. You must have seen my posts. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from using glass carboys. I'd say this thread "educates them on the risks" very effectively, as you suggest.

No one needs to act defensively in this thread. I created this thread as a means to remind everyone about the potential danger of the glass carboys, and not with the intention of eliminating them.

It's easy to say "der, everyone knows glass can break". I say not everyone - consider the pics.

If you consider the comments in the post just before yours, you'll see that this thread has had a positive effect, and it's the exact effect you are hoping for.

I got freaked out big time when I saw the pictures to the point where I was going to plastic dip my carboys etc... Then i just realized. I love my glass. Now i know what happens when it breaks. I won't get as drunk as i usually do when handling them or if i do be mindful that I could die and be more careful when I wash them.

I think I'm a lot more comfortable with my old water-cooler jugs, than I'd be with new ones made in Mexico or wherever. One of mine was made in 1970; the other one's even older (don't remember the exact date). And over the years, I'm sure they've survived a lot rougher handling than I give them.

But again: since reading this thread, I've started treating them with a lot more care and respect anyway. I don't want to be the subject of a photo that goes viral...

With all the improvements in materials (available), it is a shame that we don't see more quality products at affordable prices. The aluminium oxynitride is likely going to cost a small fortune to make a carboy out of it.

Even a borosilicate glass carboy made with an external coating (pvc coated pyrex) will cost you over $500 for a 5-gallon from Corning.

On the other side, something like the Carboy Shield might be a more reasonable investment. Anyone try these?

I started out using glass exclusively but switched to buckets a couple of years ago due to seeing all these stories. I had a couple of close calls and that was enough for me. The only time I can see myself using glass again is for aging.

I used a nylon sling doodad for lifting glass carboys for a couple of years. Of course you don't leave it on when you wash the carboy, which was when I came within inches of dropping one.

Now it's all plastic. Better Bottles are great (I use 2 6-gallon BBs for primaries) but I also have 2 non-brand-name 5-gallon PET carboys that are my secondaries. The Better Bottles also provide for a humungous blowoff pipe. Started using that after a clogged 5/16" blowoff hose blew the stopper off the carboy leading to a major fountain of trub.

I transport my only 6.5 gallon glass carboy with my 20 gall Rubbermaid trashcan, I always avoid putting too much water while rinsing out, I don't use those carboy lifter since over time it's common sense you put stress on the glass if you only lift with just that carboy handle. Unless you always have 2 hands on that glass you are stressing the glass. Always check for stress fractures, but I still get anxious while handling a full carboy to lift and put on the counter for transferring as well as washing. I always fill my carboy while it is down in the rubbermaid trashcan as well as place towels around the area where I'm working. I noticed a bunch of mistakes happen while trying to wash in a small bathroom, tight space, or holding carboy at an angle with their handle carriers. I have a 5 gallon bucket as well as 2* 6 gallon PET bottles. Eventually when I step up to doing bigger batches, I'll be spending the money on a conical. I always wait for the Victory beers when the Mission accomplished is reached on brew day, in other words only a beer or 2 while brewing keeps you more alert and since I normally do early morning brews, coffee hits my system first before I attempt to clean/sanitize my carboy (I always thouroughly clean my glass one immediately after transferring to secondary so when it is next time to use it...it only needs a Star San rinse).

Dry hands and even better Nitrile Gloves help keep a better grip on those carboys let alone give a slight protection against shattering glass. I always have pants and socks or house shoes on for extra protection too. Some of those feet cuts are the freakin' worse, dayum.

This sounds horrible to say and it is not intended as an insult. It is actually
How i feel.

I would rather suffer an injury and possible loss of feeling in part of my hand than have to spend all that precautionary time on the hobby that
I have come to really love.

We need Scotty from Star Trek to be born and show us the formula for
Transparent aluminium.

We already have it apparently, its aluminium oxynitride (ALON), and it was mentioned earlier in this thread.

The cost is "comparable to synthetic sapphire". I don't know how that translates to dollars, but I get the feeling it is cost-prohibitive - except when the budget is funded by our tax dollars.

We already have it apparently, its aluminium oxynitride (ALON), and it was mentioned earlier in this thread.

The cost is "comparable to synthetic sapphire". I don't know how that translates to dollars, but I get the feeling it is cost-prohibitive - except when the budget is funded by our tax dollars.

It's really not that bad. When formed as a window, it runs $10 a sq/cm or $9,000 a sf. Our military apparently buys all they make.

It's really not that bad. When formed as a window, it runs $10 a sq/cm or $9,000 a sf. Our military apparently buys all they make.

So assuming the unit cost holds true for carboy-type vessels (when in reality it will likely be several times more costly), we are looking at 45 - 50 k for a 6.5 gallon carboy.

I think I will risk the glass, as it would cost less to have a hand reattached, or start a brewery.

This sounds horrible to say and it is not intended as an insult. It is actually
How i feel.

I would rather suffer an injury and possible loss of feeling in part of my hand than have to spend all that precautionary time on the hobby that
I have come to really love.

I would say I am willing to risk the injury for the love/joy of the hobby, but I suppose that is just the same conclusion for a different reason. However, a severe enough injury can quickly take the joy out just about any hobby, so I would like to stack the odds in my favor. Fortunately, with glass the risks are clear and we can each choose to avoid-or ignore- them as our needs require.

Contrary to your statement, though not necessarily to negate it, I think the majority of the safety measures are quite simple, and once fully incorporated into your sanitation and preparatory routine (if you have one) require little to no extra time at all. They do require consistency though.

I think I have spent an inordinate amount of time on this thread, and will presently return to my hobbies.

:mug:

Its a glass bottle, not a grenade. Im willing to bet more injuries have occured driving to lhbs than with glass carboys. Does that mean we shouldnt drive? No.

I had one bad experience with a glass carboy ..I still use one and the rest are betterbottles.
Anyway I was sitting at the computer in my den/bar room and heard a loud exposion behind me when I turned around there was stout everywhere and glass shards thrown 6 ft... the airlock had gotted plugged and BOOM!
took 8 hours to shampoo out of the carpet and it damaged my bartop where it was sitting and around from all the glass crashing down.

:off:

Have to ask. What was an active fermenter doing sitting on a bar top in your den/bar at ambient temperature? Was it even covered from light exposure?

Anyway I was sitting at the computer in my den/bar room and heard a loud exposion behind me when I turned around there was stout everywhere and glass shards thrown 6 ft... the airlock had gotted plugged and BOOM! Took 8 hours to shampoo out of the carpet and it damaged my bartop where it was sitting and around from all the glass crashing down.

:off:

Have to ask. What was an active fermenter doing sitting on a bar top in your den/bar at ambient temperature? Was it even covered from light exposure?
it may have been covered with a towel but from the mess I remember maybe not. but honestly I dont remember because it was when I first started out in the hobby and I didnt automatically know everything.(crazy isnt it?)
I dont have a lot of room and I have no basement or closet space. so before I dedicated half a bedroom to homebrewing the carboys would sit where I found space and temps were ok.. its a stout (not a lager) that I brewed in the winter and my den hits 70 degrees max at that time of year. I wasnt aware that glass carboys were so dangerous or needed to be placed inside yet another container at the time and my other vessel was actually a 6 gallon better bottle so I had always gotten awy with just an airlock until then.
I have since changed a lot of things as I LEARNED from my experiences...(for example I cover all my fermentors with black tshirts now)
also I dont live alone so it can be challaging changing so much for one of my hobbies....I recently ran 220v line to that spare bedroom for my new DIY 15 gallon electric herms setup and now have a freezer to use as a fermetation temp controller chamber.... this didnt go over so great when I have a half remodeled kitchen waiting to be finished in the meantime.
Also I now spend tons of my time here learning from others and learning from their mistakes as well as offering my thoughs to help them avoid the mistakes I've made...

The worst part about my whole ordeal is the carboy that exploded belonged to a friend of mine which got it from his departed father and I havent had the heart (or guts) to tell him it exploded... It looked to be a 100 years old and was formed with the old system with air bubbles in the glass which likely contributed to why it gave out so easily before blowing the airlock off the top.

The worst part about my whole ordeal is the carboy that exploded belonged to a friend of mine which got it from his departed father and I havent had the heart (or guts) to tell him it exploded... It looked to be a 100 years old and was formed with the old system with air bubbles in the glass which likely contributed to why it gave out so easily before blowing the airlock off the top.

That does make it a lot worse. I wish you good luck revealing the status of his heirloom to him.

Why didn't the bung pop out? Was it strapped down?

it was not and that was my thoughts exactly... It was loud! I though my 150 gallon reef tank had given out!

The pressure at the bung and the carboy walls is the same, but the force is much greater on the walls. Force is pressure times area. It's this fundamental property that makes hydraulics so powerful. And, if my reef tank ever gives out I'm gonna have a heart attack.

Latest posts

Back