best way to transfer off trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Hi....first off-I would rather not cut my dip tubs. I have 6 cornies lagering and would like to transfer off of the flocced yeast etc. I was simply going to jump via beer like and quick disconnects from one keg to the other....but I want to leave as much of the the settled matter as possible. The beer is already carbonated somewhat as the kegs took some pressure to seal.....so I think filtering is out of the question. I was thinking that I can do a transfer easily without disturbing the sediment on the bottom of the keg and using a picnic faucet to dump roughly the first pint and then start the transfer......does anyone see a flaw in this method or have any other suggestions? Would sediment get kicked up when I go to chance from the picnic tap to the transfer line? It has been a pain when lagering because I lager in corneys and cannot filter because the beer takes on carbonation-thanks in advance. My goal is the clearest beer. Also- I have no choice but to move the kegs before serving-so I need minimal sediment in the finished keg-thanks

i just did this recently, drew a pint or so until it was clear then used a keg to keg jumper

as long as you can keep the donor keg in place and not move it before/during the transfer you won't stir up any trub

yea i have noticed only a "cone" of trub is pulled into the tube when your transfer this way.

yup yup and yup.... that's exactly what I do. I do my primary and any other fermentation steps in unmodified cornie kegs. and I just use my cobra tap to pull a nice yeast plug/slurry and once it's running clear I hook up the jumpers. I just can't bring myself to cut my dip tubes. but I may try and rig up a floating dip tube like the cask widget thingy...

I pressure ferment in a 10 gal cornie, and do what folks above have said: hook up a cobra tap and pull the first pint or so, until it starts running clear, then hook up a jumper.

The only thing I have to add is that I prop one side of the cornie up on a 2x4 block of wood, making sure the dip tube is "up". I have the cornie propped the entire time it's fermenting. That way most trub and yeast settles away from the dip tube, and it's a little quicker for the first pull to clear.

My cornie has a straight dip tube, so your mileage may vary if you have a bent tube.

The other thing to keep in mind is transfer it slooooooww

Just a couple PSI is all you need, and the slower the beer is moving, the less trub it'll suck from the bottom of the keg.

Back