My Pliny the Elder clone experience.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redalert

Reaction score
There's a PDF version of the recipe if you do a search. If I'm not mistaken this is the same recipe that Russian River uses to Brew the famed Pliny the Elder.

-- Pliny the Elder Clone--

O.G. - 1.070
T.G. - 1.011
BU's - 90-95 (actual/not calculated)
ABV - 8-8.5%
Mash Rest - 151-152
Boil Time - 90 min.
SRM - 7ish
California Ale Yeast

MALT BILL
87% 2-Row Malt
4% Crystal 45 Malt
4% Carapils (Dextrin) Malt
5% Dextrose Sugar

I missed my O.G. by .005 and

HOP BILL
-Kettle Hops

3.50 oz CTZ 13.90% A.A. 90 min.
.75 oz CTZ 13.90% A.A. 45 min.
1.00 oz Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 30 min.
1.00 oz Centennial 8.00% A.A. 0 min.
2.50 oz Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 0 min.

-Dry Hop
1.00 oz CTZ 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 Days Total)
1.00 oz Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 Days Total)
1.00 oz Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 Days Total)
.25 oz CTZ 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)
.25 oz Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)
.25 oz Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)

I didn't have Simcoe, or CTZ, but threw in some Mt. Hoods and the Centennials at various intervals during the boil. I Dry hopped with only Crystal hops I had laying around. I pitched with White Labs WLP029 Kolsch. I only used 1 vial in a 9.5 1.065 O.G. gallon batch! I let the beer sit in primary for a month before force carbonating for 10 days. I was worried about underpitching because the fermentation seemed flat and not very vigorous. Needless to say when I tasted the beer over the weekend I was amazed at the quality and I'm very critical and honest when it comes to my beers. It was very round and complete. The dry hopping does wonders with the nose while there is no harsh bite to the hops as I thought there might be. I think this is attributable to using whole hops vs. pellets. I only used whole hops for this recipe. I would recommend this recipe to beer lovers alike. Even if you don't have everyone of the hops on hand I think this would make a quality beer with various hop substitutions as long as your process is sound. Cheers.

So your clone used a Kolsch yeast, swapped out two hop varietals and switched up the hop schedule? That doesn't sound like much of a clone...

So your clone used a Kolsch yeast, swapped out two hop varietals and switched up the hop schedule? That doesn't sound like much of a clone...

No it doesn't but truth be damned if this isn't the best beer I have had to date homebrew or otherwise and I have tasted many beers from the world over. I'll take this beer over anything I can currently buy in a store. I don't think I could even reproduce it if I wanted to. Like I said I threw my Mt. Hoods straight off the vine willy nilly at various intervals. I figured with such a high IBU I wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

Back