Bourbon Oak Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emacgee

Reaction score
I’m going to be bourbon/oak aging a stout with American Oak chips. I was just looking for peoples input on using different methods of soaking/adding/aging.

Steam first, then put them in a mason jar and fill with bourbon just enough to cover the chips. I used 2oz of chips. After a 2 week soak, I poured most of the bourbon back into the bottle before adding the chips to the secondary. I leave the beer on the chips for a month or more. With 2oz, it never gets overwhelming. If you want to rush into bottles, I'd use 4oz for a week.

Interesting, never steamed my chips first. I have done everything else pretty much identical though, soaking chips in bourbon for 2 weeks, except I pour the bourbon with the chips into secondary. Good stuff!

I'm going to do this soon, but never know if I should add the chips and bourbon they're being soaked in, or just the chips. Since I love bourbon, I guess I'll add it all.

Sometimes the bourbon flavor is a bit too intense which is why I don't automatically add it all to the beer. Hey, if you find you want more later, it's easy to add back in.

Thats what I'm trying to figure out. Whether or not to add the liquor solution back into the wort. I suppose if I only use enough to cover the chips it should be fine. I could also save the solution and add it at a later time if necessary.

Do others find that the bourbon/whiskey extracts some of the tannins/vanillins from the oak?

It depends on how strong your base beer will be. I brewed an Imperial Porter that sat at 10% ABV. During primary, I soaked 4 oz. of med American Oak in Black Label. Tossed the whole thing into a carboy and racked on top. Secondaried for 8 months. Definately worth the wait.

It depends on how strong your base beer will be. I brewed an Imperial Porter that sat at 10% ABV. During primary, I soaked 4 oz. of med American Oak in Black Label. Tossed the whole thing into a carboy and racked on top. Secondaried for 8 months. Definately worth the wait.

I've got a 9-9.5% stout going. I want there to be a good blend of oak/bourbon/stout flavors. How much Black Label did you soak it in? I'm thinking about soaking the chips and then saving the solution. I'll add the chips and see what happens after a week or two and then see if want to add any of the solution.

I am do a BIG stout for winter, thinking of doing some oak chips (more like cubes) and some bourbon. I was thinking of bringing the bourbon to just below boiling point (with the chips in it) to burn off the alcohol, but leave the sweet taste of the bourbon. then pouring the entire solution into the secondary, and racking the stout on to it? Anyone try anything like that?

I actually use oak/ and or whiskey in almost every beer i make that's more then about 10 SRM because i love the stuff. Whenever i use whiskey i fill it so it's not quite covering the oak, soak it for a week or two, and pour the whole thing in. I'm assuming you've already got the oak chips, but for what it's worth i've found that oak cubes add a much more complex flavor.

Any recommendations on how much to use? I ordered 5 OZ (2X2.5oz packages) and was thinking of using 4 oz. But then what am I going to do with the other oz? save it for an IPA or something. BTW, I got american oak and likely to use makers mark "46"...

I did a dark ale I modded with 3lbs of plain amber DME & Kent Golding,& Haulertau hops. The whole time it was fermenting,I soaked 4oz of medium toast French oak chips with 5 jiggers of 8 year old Beam's Black Kentucky bourbon. I soaked them in one of those Glad containers Oscar Meyer deli meats com in. Popped it in the fridge.
Come time for secondary,the dark ruby/brown ale was 5.9%. I poured the chips/bourbon mixture through a grain sack (looks like a long hop sack). The chips had soaked up 2/3 of the bourbon. Poured it into secondary through the sack,tied off & pitched it in. Racked ale on top of it,& let it sit. It took only 8 days to get fairly strong. It's been bottled since 7/2,& it's clearing nicely.

Back