Drilling through door of fridge...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyCow9

Reaction score
Kegerator Project.

Alright. I brewed a beer, and it is fermenting nicely. I cleaned out the kegs tonight and they are ready to go. I have all of the lines fitted with easy adapters so they quick fit onto each of the kegs. I have all of the fittings necessary to send the fluid lines into some spigots that I plan on drilling through the door.

My big question.... Is there anything in the way if I were to drill through the door? Any refrigerant lines or other things that could be harmful to ones health (or worse, the health of the beer fridge)? I know there can be such things in the deep freezers, but I am unsure with a fridge.

The fridge I have looks to be a late 80's or early 90's model GE.

If you look along the hinge side and you don't see any hoses or wires going from the main part of the fridge to the door, then there's not going to be anything like that in the door. They won't work if they aren't connected back to the compressor.

Now, I'm not saying there's nothing in there or not... I don't know fridges that well. But there won't be any wires or coolant lines if there aren't any connected to the rest of the fridge.

its unlikely to have any lines in the door... you should be able to take off the inner pannel to see what is in there... if not, then guess and pray... and the Gods of Home Kegerator Makeing will be kind to you...

Cheers

HA! Thanks. Those Gods must hang out at St Arnold's house when they are off work, huh?

I didn't feel like there would be any problems, but I figured better to ask than blind cut. I will post again to tell my success or failure.

Absolutely no problems. I have two beautiful taps awaiting the brew that is bubbling so nicely right now. Thanks for the help guys!

Back